• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

eheim - worth the price?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
:argue:
hey guys, im new here :)
EHEIM is a centrifugal pump, while just about all other available ones are mag drive
the good things about centrifugal design are:
1) supposedly quieter
2) it doesn't create magnetic field, hence its safer to use near computer components.
the germal car analogy is not very accurate,
as EHEIM are much more reliable than most other pump out there.
i say, if you have the money => its totally worth it.
if you don't have the money => who cares, you can't afford it anyway. :D

ross2k said:
Causality, nice oscar!

I too vouch for the quality products eheim has put out for years! WHEN i water cool ill definetly use eheim. I too use eheim in an aquarium.

nice mix of hobbies Causality!

-Ross

Give the man a cookie! :) Someone finally recognized what may avatar was, heheh. Unfortunately, Moe the oscar is now the late Moe the oscar. :(

So two hondas, err.. maxi jets it shall be. I will order two 1200's tonight. What kind of barbs do they come with if any at all?

maxi jets dont come with any barbs. And you shouldn't use any barbs directly on it as the intake and exaust portions of the pump are made with a brittle hard plastic that will not like being stretched or compressed. Use a small section of rubber tubing and then connect both that way. You shouldn't be barbing the intake at all. So things should be fine.

Both pumps put out a magnetic field. That's how electrical motors work.

Pretty much any aquarium pump you buy is going to be a centrifugal pump (danner, eheim, maxi,etc). All that means is that it spins the water to the outside to pump the water.

I'm pretty sure that most of the aquarium pumps are also mag drive. The reason they are mag drive is so that they don't have to worry about contaminating the water (because the water is completely isolated from the motor by the epoxy encasing it).

So the technology used for any of those pumps is pretty much the same.

Also mag drive pumps only have 1 moving part, the impeller and it doesn't touch much of anything besides the water. This feature is what causes the durability of the pump.

000 said:
Pretty much any aquarium pump you buy is going to be a centrifugal pump (danner, eheim, maxi,etc). All that means is that it spins the water to the outside to pump the water.

I'm pretty sure that most of the aquarium pumps are also mag drive. The reason they are mag drive is so that they don't have to worry about contaminating the water (because the water is completely isolated from the motor by the epoxy encasing it).

So the technology used for any of those pumps is pretty much the same.

Also mag drive pumps only have 1 moving part, the impeller and it doesn't touch much of anything besides the water. This feature is what causes the durability of the pump.

Most aquarium pumps are not centrifugal they are mag drive. Eheim, danner, maxi jet, rio are all mag drive. A centrifugal pump uses a spinning disc connected to an impeller. The heavy disc spins at high speed turning the impeller This makes a centrifugal pump ideal for high psi applications. A mag drive pump has a one piece impeller magnet assembly driven by surrounding electromagnets. Mag drive pumps are more reliable by nature but cant create as much lift or move as much volume as a mag drive pump of equal size.

I'm getting an Ehiem because it doesn't need to be immersed in water. I would never submerse my pump because my current pump is submersed and it adds so much fricken heat to the water!!:mad:

oh its just a stinky no name brand submersed pump that doesn't pump much water, is hot to the touch, and makes more noise than it is supposed to.

thanks a lot leufkin...........:rolleyes:

Could I tap the intake outakes for barbs? I really want barbs on my pump. I suppose i could do the hose thing, but I'm using kinda a non standard size hose.

All these pumps are centrifugal pumps.
Eheims, maxis, danners, all.

A centrifugal pump is a pump that spins a impeller so that water is pushed outwards, like this:

centrifug.gif

All these pumps also are mag drive pumps.
A mag drive pump is a magneticly driven pump.
A electromagnet spins a small magnet attached to the impellars axis.

Eheims are sheilded. They do not put out a very large magnetic feild because they are magneticly sheilded.
Most pumps aren't, because they are meant for aquiriams or ponds, and there is no reason to sheild them.

People say Eheims a more realiable, but I have heard no complaints that Danner or maxi pumps are any less reliable.

The one thing Eheims have that is nice, is sheilding. But you can sheild your pump yourself for a pretty low cost.

Paying 2-3 times as much for a name that represents sheilding and wasting your money seems purely stupid to me.

Originally posted by: morphling1
And yes two pumps helps a lot you double preasure output and therfore flow rate. I have two Maxy-Jet 1000 l/h and they are a lot better then my previous Eheim 1250.
Thats what I was looking for right from the beginning.

Bender said:

Most aquarium pumps are not centrifugal they are mag drive. Eheim, danner, maxi jet, rio are all mag drive. A centrifugal pump uses a spinning disc connected to an impeller. The heavy disc spins at high speed turning the impeller This makes a centrifugal pump ideal for high psi applications. A mag drive pump has a one piece impeller magnet assembly driven by surrounding electromagnets. Mag drive pumps are more reliable by nature but cant create as much lift or move as much volume as a mag drive pump of equal size.

I beg to differ, there are different types of blades for a centrifigal pump. ALL MAG DRIVES ARE CENTRIFIGAL. That is how they work. the Mag Drive is refering to the type of motor:ie no brushes cause it is AC, not the type of pump that is attached to it.
All motors that run strictly on AC are mag drive. Meaning that there is no electrical connection to the rotor. If it has brushes, it isn't a mag drive and it also can run on DC current. Period!

MajinSSJVegetto said:
All these pumps are centrifugal pumps.
Eheims, maxis, danners, all.

A centrifugal pump is a pump that spins a impeller so that water is pushed outwards, like this:

centrifug.gif

All these pumps also are mag drive pumps.
A mag drive pump is a magneticly driven pump.
A electromagnet spins a small magnet attached to the impellars axis.

Eheims are sheilded. They do not put out a very large magnetic feild because they are magneticly sheilded.
Most pumps aren't, because they are meant for aquiriams or ponds, and there is no reason to sheild them.

People say Eheims a more realiable, but I have heard no complaints that Danner or maxi pumps are any less reliable.

The one thing Eheims have that is nice, is sheilding. But you can sheild your pump yourself for a pretty low cost.

Paying 2-3 times as much for a name that represents sheilding and wasting your money seems purely stupid to me.

interesting in do-it-yourself EMI shielding you mentioned, links/info please?

Back