• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

eheim - worth the price?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mizzery

I know that so many people here use eheim in their w/c setup. I know that they have low noise, heat ect. But the price on the 1250 is killing me. I would like to hear from people who used to have eheim but no longer use them and still water cool. (ed: if there are any)

I personaly feel safer using an eheim.. starfoxer is probably right, And almost all MB's have autoshutdown...but It's just too risky for me. Just my opinion, but it's worth it to me.

I don't have WC but from all I've read I would say Eheim is the way to go, they're reliable and don't start making noise after 2 weeks:argue:

I had Eheim model 1250 but I sold it and bought two maxy jets 1000 , I have them connected in serial, flow rate is now better beacuse of double max lift those pump provide, plus they are much smaller ,plus if one fail I still got one for backup, but those mag drive pump rarely fail, my computer runs 24/7 and I never had any problems. In restrictive system like water cooling in computer you need as much preasure from the pump to provide good flow. Eheim's 1250 drop in my system to 350l/h so you see preasure output (max lift) is essential, that why I started looking at little giant pumps, those seems to be very well build (Alu. casing) plus they put a lot of head. 3E family (200W yes not kidding) max lift 6.4m and still pumps 1200 l/h at 3.2m, so monster pump. A little more normal 2E family (100W) max lift is 3.5m, 550 l/h at 2m where Eheim 1250 deliver 0 l/h !!!! that its max lift. So I would look into those pumps Eheim is nothing special realy

I originally went with a cheaper Danner pump for my system, and it leaked, and cracked, was noisy and got very hot. When I finally replaced it with the Eheim, I wished I had just spent the extra money in the first place. Its an excellent pump.

-Rav

Don't get me wrong Eheim are good and reliable, but so are MaxyJets but a lot cheaper they also run silently like Eheim if you put them on rubber pads. But as for top performance single Eheim won't cut it, just too small lift I saw 3°C drop when going dual MaxyJets, and I installed two more block in the system, but I think I could still go better with stronger pump.

I probabally should have mentioned this in the first post, but head is going to be important to me. Once i get the w/c system up, i will be building a bong as I have drawn up some plans for a 6' one. I want something thats going to provide enough pressure for that as well.

just for those looking, it's called a maxi-jet pump not maxy jet ... and they are quite amazing. They should also be submersed for a longer lifespan and better reliability as you cool the heat off them better. They also have a heat sensor that saves them in case you start pumping air and cant cool the thing. Most other pumps would fry themselves. Maxi-jet's cost 20 bucks max if you buy it in the right place for a 295gph pump. Anyone selling them higher than that is ripping you off.

Eheim baby

I have used two Eheims (1048 and 1250) and have been very happy with them. Granted I have never used anything else.

There is probably a good reason why a large portion of the people here use Eheims and I doubt it's mass stupidity... most of the peeps here are very knowledgable. I personally would take that as an indication of the quality of Eheim pumps.

I use an eheim pump and filter on my aquarium and thing is dead-silent except for a few bubbles that get sucked in. I have also never had any problems with it. I would assume that their pumps applied to watercooling would be just as good.

Causality, nice oscar!

I too vouch for the quality products eheim has put out for years! WHEN i water cool ill definetly use eheim. I too use eheim in an aquarium.

nice mix of hobbies Causality!

-Ross

Re: Eheim baby

grunjee said:
There is probably a good reason why a large portion of the people here use Eheims and I doubt it's mass stupidity... most of the peeps here are very knowledgable. I personally would take that as an indication of the quality of Eheim pumps.

not to disprove that eheims are quality made.. but the assumption that because a large portion of people use a product means it's an indication of quality isn't a dependable one. Marketing can ovewhelm quality and practicality and we've seen that with things like AOL and reality tv shows. They could be the most used for many reasons with quality being just one of them. For instance many popular water cooling kits come with eheim pumps and via aqua pumps. Does that mean they're better than other pumps? no. It probably means the people making the kits were able to get them at a deal and they're the kind (sub or not) that the kit needs. names like eheim and via aqua have a lot of namebrand penetration due to being in kits and many popular online stores for water cooling only stock those. This would be a much more likely case for why so many people use them. Quality wise, there's almost always something that's of better quality or better performance or better efficiency that few people know about and isn't popular and maybe never will be.

I personally think it's the fact that the most popular online wc'ing oriented stores are mostly carrying eheims and via aqua's and most kits only have them those pumps as to why most people on this forum and such have those pumps. I consider this merely a form of marketing because if you're actually buying the pumps from those stores it's a 99% chance you're getting ripped off. +1 to marketing. If an eheim or via aqua are quality products can only be determined over a long period of time. aquariums often dont have backpressure during normal use and watercooling systems do so an interesting study that would be.

If head is important (as it should be, cos' this is very important info.) you should look at Iwaki or double or triple setup with normal inline mag pumps. All of those aqarium pumps are made for high volume and not high preasure, so having 4000 l/h wouldn't help to much cos' of all the preasure drops in system, it will only cause pump to work harder and overheat. You need to look for pump with as big as possible max lift, or go with more smaller equall pumps conected in serial for multiplying pumps max lift by number of pumps.

Re: Re: Eheim baby

safemode said:

not to disprove that eheims are quality made.. but the assumption that because a large portion of people use a product means it's an indication of quality isn't a dependable one. Marketing can ovewhelm quality and practicality and we've seen that with things like AOL and reality tv shows. They could be the most used for many reasons with quality being just one of them. For instance many popular water cooling kits come with eheim pumps and via aqua pumps. Does that mean they're better than other pumps? no. It probably means the people making the kits were able to get them at a deal and they're the kind (sub or not) that the kit needs. names like eheim and via aqua have a lot of namebrand penetration due to being in kits and many popular online stores for water cooling only stock those. This would be a much more likely case for why so many people use them. Quality wise, there's almost always something that's of better quality or better performance or better efficiency that few people know about and isn't popular and maybe never will be.

I personally think it's the fact that the most popular online wc'ing oriented stores are mostly carrying eheims and via aqua's and most kits only have them those pumps as to why most people on this forum and such have those pumps. I consider this merely a form of marketing because if you're actually buying the pumps from those stores it's a 99% chance you're getting ripped off. +1 to marketing. If an eheim or via aqua are quality products can only be determined over a long period of time. aquariums often dont have backpressure during normal use and watercooling systems do so an interesting study that would be.

You obviously missed the point of my post, bro... key phrase: the KNOWLEDGABLE people here. THEY are the ones buying Eheims... the people who know what they're doing. Not the mindless AOL hordes.

Personally I thought eheims were over priced from the begenning. I think that a lot of the w/c stores carry them cause they know they can get a premium price for them. They make the pump the most expensive part of the system, not the block (as I believe it should be). Looking over the specs, eheims have barely any lift capabalities.
As for getting ripped off on the prices for eheim's on sites like danger den, you're not. I called every pet store in my area, and although no one stocked eheim (hmmm, i wonder why?) and one store said they could order the 1250 for me, although it would cost $85!!!!! So you're not getting ripped there. For small in case closed loop setups where head is not a problem eheim is probabally fine (but i still don't think worth the price). For open systems with a lot of vertical lift (bongs), i'm getting a stronger and stronger feeling that my money would be much better invested elsewhere.

I have Eheims (1046, 1048, 1250) and via Aqua and Maxi-jet pumps on various wc systems.
Price is not one of Eheims strong points....reputation for reliablity is.
Just follow the money...search some tropical fish sites.....1k~5K worth of fish in a tank...what pumps do they use?????

I have had NO problems with any of the above pumps. In two or three years if the Via Auqua and Maxi-Jet are still running as I assume the Eheims will be then I'll be in a better position to say if the Eheims are worth the extra bucks.
wj

The way I see it, if you run your rig(s) 24/7 at least with
the Eheims you will never come home to a failed water pump.

How much is that worth to you?

I personally am thinking of getting an eheim, but I also dont feel like spending so much money. My Danner leaks, and I have to add water every few weeks, it's really annoying.

That Via Aqua looks tempting, but I'd like to hear from someone who has been using it for a long time without any problems. I'd hate to get a nice pump that solves my leaking problem only to have it die on me after a few months.

Back