• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is Litestep?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Never use it but know what it does. Its a shell for Windows 9.x that replaces the explorer.exe shell and is supposed to be much faster because it takes up a LOT less overhead(gee, you think :) ). Have heard of a lot of problems getting it to work, but those who do love it. Don't know if it out for the NT kernal.

ya, the updated ones are out for nt. There's also a setup program now that will change your registry for you, and also, if you have problems with it, it has an uninstall. Also, make a backup of your registry before you change the registry to load explorer. I know a bunch of methods to get back to your orignal setup if it doesn't work, so don't hesitate to ask.

well, i'm telling you right now, i wouldn't use it. It's annoying, and you can't have any desktop icons and stuff. It's hard to navigate, even though people make their own themes. You have to know how to customize it, or which file goes here or which file goes there because everyone pretty much throws their fiels anywhere and expects the user to know where to place each file to get the litestep to work. Even though i know, it's just a hassle. Don't bother, stick with explorer.exe.

Litestep is REALLY cool. its like a whole new os but its free assuming you allready purchased a microsoft os. it was mainly used back in the win9x days before most people migraded to a nt based os because it is much more stable than the older win9x shell (just as stable as win2k/xp).

It takes time to get used to, but so does every other operating system. if you have a old computer or laptop or something i recommend you install it there before you put it on your main rig (unless you dual boot) but it is really really cool and there are many many themes that look completly different and function completly different also so basically there are like 100's of mini os'es out there.

the best thing about it is the look which looks a hell of a lot better than anything ms has ever put out. the great thing about it is unlike linux it plays all of the games out there cause it is windows with a different look on it!

Back