• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

486 Laptop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Superman

I have a 486 labtop machine right now it currenly has windows 3.1 I was wondering if it would be possible to put windows 95 on it. Its a 66Mhz machine with 8mb of memory if you can help thanks.

Yes should be no problem, 16MB would be better but you are OK. Your problem could be with your display driver and stuff like that.

I only plan on using it for word processing no internet no games just typing so that would be ok right?

it's possible but it is going to be very hard... first of all, at 66mhz, and 8 mb or ram, you probably just want to stay with 3.1... even if you get Windows 95 working properly on that system, it's gonna run so slow that it's gonna make you want to cry... the other thing is, it's going to be really hard looking for drivers... especially a laptop... laptops are a b!tc4 to upgrade if the manufacturer does support the operating system you want... i am a primary laptop user too...

Back