• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice needed...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aughtsix

I think (hope) I'm ready to build my first PC, and it will be used for gaming, nothing else. I won't even be going online with it - just using it for PC games. The components will be mostly new so I won't be loading on top of any other operating system, it'll be a new install.

My question is, what operating system should I use? I have access to Win 2000 Pro that I'm getting really tempted to use especially when I read so much about the XP problems.

I'm far from a computer whiz - in fact I was getting ready to buy a store bought system from Dell or Gateway when I stumbled onto this site (which totally changed my mindset by the way, thank you ever so much), so I seriously doubt I could handle Linux or the more advanced operating systems. I need something elementary for now.

Anyway, I'd really appreciate your advice and experience.

Thanks...

Steve

P.S. - YES, I've read all the threads and the OS poll...:) This question is approaching the issue from a new install/new system build standpoint rather than an upgrade, for a system used ONLY for gaming AND from the perspective of a non computer guru who couldn't tweak his way out of a wet paper bag. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I think WinXP pro is more user friendly than Win2000 Pro but i've never used 2000 Pro before so i could be wrong. If you want something thats easy go for XP, it will setup all your hardware without the hassle of you downloading every driver for every piece of hardware you have. I dont really know what kind of problem your refering too for WinXP but i have had none so far since it came out.

Edit: Forgot to mention that those having alot of problems with WindowsXP are usually those who "bought" WindowsXP... know what i mean? I still say go for XP, you dont really need the pro version, home will do just as good and its cheaper.

Last edited:
Originally posted by SnowBird I think WinXP pro is more user friendly than Win2000 Pro but i've never used 2000 Pro before so i could be wrong. If you want something thats easy go for XP, it will setup all your hardware without the hassle of you downloading every driver for every piece of hardware you have. I dont really know what kind of problem your refering too for WinXP but i have had none so far since it came out.

Edit: Forgot to mention that those having alot of problems with WindowsXP are usually those who "bought" WindowsXP... know what i mean? I still say go for XP, you dont really need the pro version, home will do just as good and its cheaper.

Well it's a tough choice. I've read all the threads, the operating system poll, etc. and there seems to be so much variety of opinion. It sounds to me like XP might be a better gaming OS than 2K Pro, but heck, I'm a gumby - I don't know. A lot of you are using 98 for gaming and seem to like it. I'm currently gaming on a 98 system that works just fine and it's only a 300 so it's not like it's hard pressed.

It sounds like if I go with XP I'll need to be connected to the internet for all the patches and fixes, and this system won't be connected to the internet so I'd be screwed. And yes, I think I know what you mean...that's another XP issue - the registery thing. ~sigh~

Steve

Last edited:
Go with what you know best and what works for you, thats the best advice anyone can give you :D If you know 98, then stick with it, if not, pick one of the 2 and if you have any questions, post them here, we'll be happy to answer them ;)

Hey I would personally go with windows 98,the reason why I say this is because windows xp home, pro is not compatible with all programs out there.and well ME sucks and win98se does also and nt4.0 good luck and win2000 i dont know but i dont think all games will play on it but then again i dont know if they will or not.over all i would say get win 98 for playing games unless they are really new games if so then id go with xp pro.thats what i got and love it.happy gaming

i'd say that if you want familiar go w/ 98, familiar(sorta) w/ good stability 2k and if you want the most up to date get xp

Back