• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fsb/multipliers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rotary-Motion

ok

i'm just trying my first overclock!

I need to know some info on multipiers/fsb stuff,

if i up my fsb a few tweeks should i see alot of temp rise?

i just upped it and now my cpu amd2000 reads at 1.700!!! not 1.666 with what seems to me a 1c temp rise? is this ok?

also if i up the multiplier from 12.5 to 13 what will this do and will the temp rise alot? and if i do this in conjuction with the fsb tweek i just did will it be ok? or should i put the fsb back before i up the multiplier?

cheers guys i need to be led abit here its all new ground to cover

thank you all!

Well first of all. Before you plan to do any major overclocking, buy aftermarket cooling. A ThermalTake Volcano 7+ is the hsf set I have, and it seems to be pretty efficent. I do know alpha makes good stuff, and I'm sure there will be other suggestions after mine. Also buy thermal compound and read how to install it. After that, unless you have an unlocked cpu, you'll be adjusting your FBS. Never move your FBS up by 5, seriously, for the good of your system. Download programs such as "Prime95" and "3dMark2001SE". After bringing up your fbs, test the stability of it, by running a program that brings your computer to full load, like "prime95" and let it run for 10 hours. Yes that's right, not 20 mins, 10 - 12 hours. Some guys don't feel safe until they test for 24 hours. If you get errors, or a bluescreen during that time, your not stable. You can either increase your voltage in BIOS to achieve better stability, but this also increases heat by significant amount. Once you reach a point where you don't want to increase voltage anymore (remember too much voltage can damage your system), find a FBS number where you will be unstable and crash. Heat wise, Ideally I would shoot for with good cooling and a not very hot ambient temperature.. about 40-44 degrees idle and about 48-55 max degrees at full load (when running say Prime95). Getting a monitoring program like "motherboard monitor" or if you have an asus board "asusprobe", allows you to monitor temperatures within your operating system. Then bring it slowly down point by point until you find a level where the computer is very stable. Remember, just because it runs Prime95 for an hour, doesn't mean it wouldn't crash the instant you load up Tribes 2. I can't stress the importance of testing. Anyways, some people also use a process known as "burning in" your CPU to achieve further OC'ing results, but I would suggest you do this a week after you run your system at a higher OC'ed level, following the process I detailed above, and modifications to it other posters may give. Anyways good luck.

Also, take a look in the cooling sections and alternate modding sections to determine if you have good airflow through your case, with poor airflow, you can sometimes have very poor temperatures, even if you have a solid cooling system. (air)

Rotary-Motion said:

also if i up the multiplier from 12.5 to 13 what will this do and will the temp rise alot? and if i do this in conjuction with the fsb tweek i just did will it be ok? or should i put the fsb back before i up the multiplier?

Just to clarify, you won't be able change the multiplier successfully without first unlocking the CPU. If you can do this, a very effective way to overclock, if you have a board with a 1/5 divisor, is to up the FSB to 166. The PCI bus will still be in spec, memory will run at pc2700 speed, and you can lower the CPU multiplier to stay in spec. If you're interested in unlocking, there's a thread about it here:
http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=66470

As fas as temps rising, there will be a slight increase ( probably 1 -2 C). The larger increases happen when you up the voltage.

Good luck and happy overclocking!

Back