• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

best 120mm fan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DamnFast

What is the best 120mm fan?
I'm tying to get one for my radiator (Cooling Cube from DangerDen) but it seems like Sunon with 108cfm is the strongest one I can find. Are there any other that can outperform this fan?
I have a Rheostat to control the noise so noise is no problem.
Thanks.

no im pretty sure your not going to find anything much better than the 131cfm ys tech....if your in need of a powerful fan thats actually not too bad for noise compared to some others go for it.....bust for gods sake get a fan guard....unless your not fond of your pets/limbs....that thing frightens me

Panaflo, Crispy, Panaflo. They have 4 models to choose from:
68.9cfm at 30db
86.5cfm at 35.5db
108.3cfm at 41.5db
114cfm at 45db (this one is not so good)
CaseETC.com has the 68.9cfm and 108.3cfm. I've been looking for the 86.5cfm but can't seem to find it.

The 131CFM YS Tech is 5 db louder than the Sunon. I have two on my cooling Cube and two in my case. Boy do they wine! If you are going to use this fan, build a voltage control circuit using a LM317. I am seriously considering some Panaflows but will wait until we have some hot weather to see if I can get by with them. Also, have the fan pull the air through your Cooling Cube. This will avoid turbulence and be more efficient. If you are going to push the air through it, build a plenum chamber between the fan and the Cube.

Sempei,
I think I found your Panaflo 86.5cfm/35.5db at www.digikey.com. The pdf file for it is
They seem a little pricey, but it seems that they are more of a distributor than a direct seller. I took your advice and purchased a Panaflo 68.9cfm/30db from caseETC.com. Let's hope it holds up during the summer, or else I'll have to put my 120mm screamer back in the case. Thanks.

Ok, I did go ahead and placed an order for 2 * 120mm Panaflo fans(108.3cfm) from caseetc.com. They are actually cheaper than other fans. 14.99 each. I think 108cfm is more than enough to power the cooling cube.
Do you think I should just attatch one fan on the cooling cube(One for puuling the air out) or would it be better to have two? (One for intake and one for out) Does it make a big difference with 2 fans installed? If the difference is not noticable, than I might just go with one fan.

Well, thanks for all the info~:):):):)

I have a Nidec 112CFM model. It is made out of cast aluminum, it's very rigiedly constructed. The fan itself is quiet, but the fan motor makes an aweful hum. It works great at 5V or 7V, it works best at 12V with a rheostat though. I like it. It only has 3 fan blades, so it could easily chop a finger or two off!

Jeff Evans (Feb 15, 2001 06:04 a.m.):
I have a Nidec 112CFM model. It is made out of cast aluminum, it's very rigiedly constructed. The fan itself is quiet, but the fan motor makes an aweful hum. It works great at 5V or 7V, it works best at 12V with a rheostat though. I like it. It only has 3 fan blades, so it could easily chop a finger or two off!

Seems like those aluminium fans are very dangerous...with only 3 blades....
I think I should keep my order of panaflos and I will be fine...I have ordered those fan grills as well...just for safety..:):):)

DamnFast (Feb 15, 2001 06:51 a.m.):

Seems like those aluminium fans are very dangerous...with only 3 blades....
I think I should keep my order of panaflos and I will be fine...I have ordered those fan grills as well...just for safety..:):):)
I got a half-dozen of them at a computer show for $1 (come used out of old Xerox Photo-copiers, came with 2 grills a piece) , so I'm sure you can understand why I am so partial to them :)

Try just one fan pulling first. That's probably all you will need.

Just don't let your DIMM Friend install any of these bad boys! :p

DamnFast (Feb 15, 2001 05:47 a.m.):
Ok, I did go ahead and placed an order for 2 * 120mm Panaflo fans(108.3cfm) from caseetc.com. They are actually cheaper than other fans. 14.99 each. I think 108cfm is more than enough to power the cooling cube.
Do you think I should just attatch one fan on the cooling cube(One for puuling the air out) or would it be better to have two? (One for intake and one for out) Does it make a big difference with 2 fans installed? If the difference is not noticable, than I might just go with one fan.

Well, thanks for all the info~:):):):)

Oh, I didn't get to throw my 2 cents in :eek:...anywayz, 3dCool sells a 120 135CFM thats 45db but since you already ordered bummer...

BTW, use one fan pulling air through the rad, i could babble about laminar and turbulent flow (probably would make my fluid mechanics professor happy), but i'll just say that case fans are designed in such a way that the air comming out right behind it isn't good for cooling a rad...

Note to self: This engineering $hit is actually paying off... :)

Oh, I almost forgot to mention...put a FILTER on the intake side of your rad...negetively charged dust particles will clog it up...

Back