• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what to do with my girlfriends P2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nan0_man

Ok, so i painted her PC, gave her my 15" monitor,(good excuse for me to buy a new one), now she's moaning because its not fast!
Another good excuse for me to spend, but is it going to be worth it? - I could just buy a new mobo for like 20 bux and throw a P3 or something in it.

If you think its overclockable (the bios suck!), let me know.

If you have a mobo and chip laying around and think its what i need,also let me know...maybe i could buy it from you???

Its l8 and i dont have any letters on my keyboard(modding it) which is making it rather difficult to type so........

heres a pic of her "cute-puter"..................

probly beating a dead horse... but is yodums your sister? its just his color :p

P2s are multiplier locked so FSB is the only OC option. What speed P2 is it? If it is 200, 233, 266, 300 or 333 it will probably have a 66MHz bus which could be Oced to 83.3Mhz or 100MHz. Eg. P2/233 is 3.5*66. Oced to 100Mhz would mean 350MHz.

David

David said:
P2s are multiplier locked so FSB is the only OC option. What speed P2 is it? If it is 200, 233, 266, 300 or 333 it will probably have a 66MHz bus which could be Oced to 83.3Mhz or 100MHz. Eg. P2/233 is 3.5*66. Oced to 100Mhz would mean 350MHz.

David

not al of them, P2's 350MHz and below are unlocked

nan0_man: check inside the computer, and see if it either lest you change the FSB or multiplier, and then check the speed of the processor, however you will only becable to overclock it abit, i recon you should try and get hold of a duron and mobo.

The Overclocker said:

not al of them, P2's 350MHz and below are unlocked

nan0_man: check inside the computer, and see if it either lest you change the FSB or multiplier, and then check the speed of the processor, however you will only becable to overclock it abit, i recon you should try and get hold of a duron and mobo.

Yeah I wondered how that worked. I have a 300mhz P2 that was multiplier unlocked...I wondered when they changed that. Interestingly enough, my 300 was fsb locked at 66...had to paint one of the contacts to overcome it...

Mike

wow! thanks for all the comments,

In answer to the "what paint did i use"...

I couldnt find a bright pink spray paint ANYWHERE locally, so i went to a arts and crafts store and found this spray paint that they use to paint FLOWERS! It was the right color but i was worried it would scratch off. So i primed it good, applied the pink then used a spray sealer to keep it on! The yellow is from a car store and is super durable. works for me :) by the way the ergonomic keyboard is sooooo easy to dismantle, its almost made to be modded!

yeh i layed in bed last night and thought about it...i am going to get a new mobo and an AMD! So if antone's selling one please LET ME KNOW....OR I'LL HAVE TO GET ON eBAY OR THE LIKE!!
Incidentally the mobo i have is no good to O/C, i opened it up- and where the PSU should be, i found a couple of mice on a trundle wheel! i asked them if they knew which jumper was for the FSB and they said "dont bother dude...get a new one so we can get the *YiKeS* out of here!"

DON'T overclock a PII unless you want it to die in a few months...
My PII 266mhz only lasted 6 months at 300

So upgrade to a newer Slot 1 or use a Slocket and a socket celeron (CHEAP solution). The speed at which you can upgrade to is limited by which chipset you have. If you have an Intel 440LX you won't be able to get past 533mhz(classic celeron).
If you have a 440BX you'll only be limited to the available FSB and multiplier settings (650-800 usually).

Directron.com has some older socket 370 CPUs for under $30

OH MY GAWD! I just had an idea! (smell the burning?)

I could build a new pc (XP chip i guess) and give her my existing one! (T-bird 1.2) I've been waiting to install the watercooling until i get my "8k3a epox mobo" so that would definitely work.
but could i fit my motherboard into her case?? it sure looks like it would fit but she's only got a 200w psu.That should be enough to power the T-bird right?

Also i think i'll turn the P2 into an mp3 player for the BATHROOM, i might try and mount it directly into the walland have a acrylic front panel...looks like im going to be busy...AGAIN!

Why dont you try a fresh instal of windows? Usually after a while we all mess the darn thing to the point of having to click 10 tiems on startupjust to get programs from starting up....grrr darn sister!

200w is not nearly enough for a Tbird - possibly for an all onboard solution but even then you are pushing it.

250W is an absolute minimum, with a good brand 300Watter being my recomendation for a Tbird system.

David

You may want to check and see if it's an AT case and power supply. Odds are pretty good that they are. If so your upgrading options are pretty limited to what you can find second hand. Once you start trying to replace CPU, MB, and power supply, it kinda make more sense to build an entirely new system.

nan0_man said:
OH MY GAWD! I just had an idea! (smell the burning?)

I could build a new pc (XP chip i guess) and give her my existing one! (T-bird 1.2) I've been waiting to install the watercooling until i get my "8k3a epox mobo" so that would definitely work.
but could i fit my motherboard into her case?? it sure looks like it would fit but she's only got a 200w psu.That should be enough to power the T-bird right?

Also i think i'll turn the P2 into an mp3 player for the BATHROOM, i might try and mount it directly into the walland have a acrylic front panel...looks like im going to be busy...AGAIN!
I got an old Celeron 333mhz system for free after building my friend's parent's a new one. I was planning on using it for my wife up in our room since she's starting nursing school in fall. But it's just WAY to slow for me. So I'm pulling the HD and CDrom out and using them while I build a new system. I've got an old vidcard, NIC card, Monitor, Speaker's, PSU, etc... The only thing I really need right now is a Motherboard and CPU. So I looked on Newegg and say a refurbished AK31 for $35.00 shipped. So I bought it along with a 950mhz Duron for $36.00 shipped. That's $71.00 for the board and CPU shipped. That's a price you can't beat. I'm going to put minimal cooling on it to try and keep it quite. I'll have to take half of my DDR out of my main rig for now till I get extra cash to get some new stuff. But I can manage with 256 meg's for now.
But the refurbished board's are a really good deal if you don't mind that sort of thing. Which I don't :)

stompah said:
Why dont you try a fresh instal of windows? Usually after a while we all mess the darn thing to the point of having to click 10 tiems on startupjust to get programs from starting up....grrr darn sister!

run MSconfig from the Run menu and disable any unwanted programs from the Startup list.

i just recently did a fresh install...my startup list is bordering on "anorexic" so those bases are covered, but thanks for the input.
that deal from newegg looks like my answer, i'll be checking into it presently - thanks bdf24! for the 'heads up'

and in-case (not a pun) anyone cares, i will post many glorious pics when i'm done!

thanks again guys for your comments :)

Back