• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hose/Copper Elbow fittings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheGhengisKhan

BANNED TROLL -Per Silversinksam
OK, I'm working on putting together my first WC setup. :D
QUESTION: What's the best way to get plastic tubing to stick in copper elbow's that are just the right size for the tubes to fit inside (plenty of room to minimize flow loss). My father-in-law said that blue RTV silicone will work, but I'm thinking that it's not solid enough (flexes too much for the fittings to hold) Don't bother telling me to go buy anything right now, I'd love to just go pick up some marine goop, but I have NO MONEY!! that is $00.00 to spend. Will Blue RTV work, or do I have to wait untill I have money to spend to buy marine goop, or is there some type of epoxy that will work? (he has 20-30 different types of glues and epoxy's sitting around)
Any suggestions?

you may use copper wire: two turns around plastic tubing and carefully twist the tips of wire till tubing is dimpled

a little ghetto but as good as a tube clamp!:D

dream caster said:
you may use copper wire: two turns around plastic tubing and carefully twist the tips of wire till tubing is dimpled

a little ghetto but as good as a tube clamp!:D

Actually, I think that would MAKE a hole, where before one did not exist, if you think about it. That would create a channel between the twists of copper, like a threaded bolt.

I've seen JB Weld used again and again on both metal AND plastic components in W/C systems, INCLUDING nylon. I would say JB Weld would be your best bet. Slather some between the hose and copper, and also create a "sheath" around the outside of the joint as well. When the JB Weld hardens, it should keep that sucker from popping out.

If the contact between the copper elbow and the tubing has enough friction, it'll keep itself water tight. If not, you could actually do what dream caster said, but put JB Weld between the twists of copper wire, as well as around the outside.

why bother? it wont work leak free... if you streach it over you still get 0 flow restriction... i do it with Ts

TheGhengisKhan said:
ok, i don't think I explained that quite well enough. The plastic hose fits inside the copper elbows, not over them.

We understand you just fine, inside. You just don't understand us (me and dream). =)

We're saying take a thin gauge copper wire, and wrap it around the outside of the plastic tube. Then stick that plastic tube with wire around it INSIDE the copper elbow. The purpose is to create friction. Fill the gap with JB Weld to make it watertight.

Or do like maskedgeek said (which makes a whole lot more sense, I might add) and buy new copper elbows, of a smaller outside diameter so you can stretch the tubes OVER the copper, instead of inside. Also as he said, there would be zero flow resistance then.

ohh, I thought he was saying to use the copper wire like a hose clamp :eek: Now I get it (smacks self on forehead)
I'd love to be able to stretch the hose over the outside of the elbows, but I already tried that, and they just won't stretch that far, damn cheap clear pvc tubing. Looks Like I'm waiting till pay-day to pick up some quality tubing and elbows instead.
Thanx again for all your help.

dude, just get the proper size elbows or/and solder the proper copper pipe into it...

well.....
:D now I have an excuse to give my wife for me to spend the money on some better tubing (the cheap stuff I've got sitting here isn't really wide enough anyway)

Back