• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Another SP3 for w2k thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I asked our local lawyer-clocker about that. Here's what he had to say:

First of all, I think that they are understating the degree to which EULA's are enforceable. Courts have upheld EULA's. There is some question about this issue, of course.

With regard to not agreeing to the EULA, my guess is that probably won't do you any good. Don't they usually say something like "by clicking ok and by using this softwareyou agree to the terms....etc."? Even if you don't agree, you are still using the software.

All of this is a difficult area, that the law has not really explored much yet. There will be a time when we have a better idea about the enforceability of EULA's and how far it can be taken.

Yes, it still installs all the unnecessary BS from MS (ha!). And that is a good point by the lawyer friend/person. I think I do recall the "by clicking OK you submit to be anally probed by Microsoft's Geschtapo...". But it's nice to see that someone's doing something against "The Man".

Personally I think I'm just going to (at this point) keep my important PCs offline and all my other ones on SP2 for now while I simutaneously begin to explore the open source world that is Linux.

If MS want's to try to hamstring me, they're welcome to. I don't think they're after me or something by slipping in an opressive EULA. Hell, when people install XP, they agree to pretty much the same licence.

Microsoft's Geschtapo . . . That's golden! :D

Back