• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

newbie PC builder needs help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Grutz

Registered
I just put togather a new pc: (im very new at this)

Athlon xp 2000+
Abit kx7-333
two 512mb corsair DDR pc2700 sticks
80gb maxtor
Gainward GF4 Ti 4600
Soundblaster Audigy plat.
linksys nic.
lite on CD-RW

Ive had to try and install Win XP pro two different times. I keep getting different but simmilar errors each time.
Before i installed an OS i changed the time/date, and CPU to Athlon 2000+ in my BIOS.
First try, formatted HD and installed win xp pro. logged into win and installed Gainward video drivers off the CD, rebooted. I had blue screens ("BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG") that come up when booting in normal or safe mode. I tried to repair this installation of windows, and then got some random restarts a few mins after logging in.
got very frustrated. :mad:
Second try, reformatted HD, installed win XP pro, installed Motherboards 4 in1 drivers, and restarted. I had blue screens that would show up for a splt second and auto restart occured immediatley, about three to four times in a row, always after the first 3-5 mins of logging in. I changed the auto restart function off, and it didnt crash on me after the usual 3-5 mins. I tried to play around in XP just to see if it would crash, it didnt for about 20 mins, so i thought that i would try to install sound blaster drivers. It froze up during the installation. After a reboot a black screen said:
System32/DRIVERS/isapnp.sys is not found.
it told me i should repair my windows with the cd. I have no idea what to do once in the repair command prompt.
and now when ever i try to boot normally it freezes up in the log in screen, or just before t on a black sceen.

The whole thing just seems instable, so im worried that even if i repair this isapnp.sys file that 5 mins later ill get some other error.

Is there any thing I could have done wrong at the hardware level with wires or anything?
Or are some of my components incompatiable with eachother?
I havent been able to pin point what is my problem at all.
I've been reading and searching posts. some people say to update bios. should I try to fix or reinstall windows and get the iternet working so i can do that? but so far i havent even had a stable OS that functions for more the 5 mins.
should i try to get a diff copy of XP, or a diff OS?
i dont know what to do.

:confused:
:confused:

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

I'm Not sure, It could be many things..but it sounds like a bad stick of memory.

I see you have two sticks, try them both but one at a time. If it happens with one and not the other then that would be it.

If no results, you could try clearing your BIOS using the jumper short on the motherboard and using all the safer settings in that.

In addition to Maximouse's suggestion, I've read that having "PCI Master Read Caching" enabled in the BIOS (relating to the KX7-333) can cause the system to lock up under WindowsXP, or just plain refuse to boot. You may also want to check out "Paul's Unofficial KX7-333 FAQ" at Viahardware here...

http://www.viahardware.com/faq/kg7kr7/kx7333faq.htm ;)

Last edited:
Back