• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Optical Mouse.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Justinkoko

Registered
Hi!
This is my very first thread. Nice to meet you all. :)

Anyway, I'm going to move on from traditional ball mouse to optical mouse because ball mouse is interfering my "fragging work" in CS.:rolleyes:

I have 3 questions.

Does optical mouse really make a difference? (General,Photoshop, Game)

Don't I have to still clean the lenses after extensive usage?
(Using air compressed dust blower and such)

I've selected MS Intelli Explorer and Logitech Dual Optical as my candidates. Which one would you go for and why?
(Subjective opinions)

Well that's all and any reply will be greatly appreciated.

Bye~~ :D

Yes optical mice really do make a difference, except you just have to have a nice a flat surface such as a mouce pad on which to use it. Another thing is that you don't have to clean the mouse at all anywhere. I would suggest the Logitech because I have great experiences with the logitechs. The Intellimouse Explorer is also a good deal but don't go with the wireless mice, those are bad.

First off, welcome to the forums! You will find this to be a great place for computer info. Now, for your questions:
I've had both optical and ball mice, and I must say, there is a world of difference. The mouse is easier to move, and more accurate. Even the cleanest ball mouse is inferior to an optical mouse. About cleaning the lens, I've had my mouse for about 6 months, and have never cleaned the lens. Its still operating as if it was new. I have a M$ optical mouse, and its worked fine at a low cost, so I'm happy with it. I've never tried the Logitech though, so I can't make a comparison.

Welcome to the forums.

I've had my Logitech Mouseman for little over 1.5 years, it has been dropped on the floor alot! It is still going. I don't clean the lens, what's good is that I don't use a mousepad either. It works fine on the keyboard tray. I think I would go with the Logitech since I love thier products so much. The Dual Optical was made for precision for gamers while playing their games of course. . .

Yodum

I got the logitech optical mice from BB for $20 to replace my three year old MS mouse and I love it! Optical rocks! :D

I agree with LinuxGURU, sorta.

I agree with everything LinuxGURU said except one thing. Cordless mice do NOT suck. I have two...and they work beautifully. One is a Logitech ball mouse...and one is a Microsoft Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer which I got for free. :D Personally think you should go with the non-cordless Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer, simply cuz with cordless the batteries run out too fast in Microsoft mice. But yea...Logitech is good as well...I just like Microsoft mice better. Ack.

That’s right, cordless mice don’t suck. I’ve got the Microsoft Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer as well, and it’s by far the best mouse I’ve ever used, and the most expensive. The only drawback is that if you use it for about 8-10 hours each day, 7 days a week, the batteries will only last you about 2 ½ weeks. But if you do like I do, and use rechargeable ones, that’s not really a big problem.

Or...

If you have gotten tired of pushing a mouse around, ya know push it a ways...pick it up...put it down...push it a ways...

You know what I mean.

Then try an optical track ball like the Marble Mouse from Logitech. I have been using one for over two years. I love it. Use it at home and at work.

I just got tired of pushing a mouse around. The Marble Mouse is very accurate, more so than any normal balled or ball-less mouse i have ever used. It is much quiker too in games. I use it for everything from AutoCad to just doodling in paint to gaming.

Try it you might like it!

(geez! That almost sounded like a commercial...*barf*retch* :rolleyes: )

I use an IBM Optical (corded) mouse (got it at BB... also available at K-Mart and a lot of other stores) and love it. Used it for almost a year... dropped, kicked, dangled, abused, etc... works perfectly. UT is much better. I would go optical all the way.

Bahh. I hate trackballs. I can't stand them. Pushing mice around takes a LOT less work than trying to pinpoint a specific pixel in a bitmap using a trackball. I don't know...maybe it just takes practice. Whatever, I don't have time to practice. :D

I have and use the Logitech Dual Optical abd its great.. I highly recomend it.. its worth the price.

Its accurate in games.. I actually had to turn the mouse sensitivity down in flashpoint cause it was too fast. :)

my only gripe is the webwheel software thats part of the whole driver package.. you can't seem to use the wheel as a 3rd button w/o the damn wheel option thing showing up.. so far I can't leave it on cause if I try to use the 3rd button in NWN and flashpoint it boots me from the game and pops up the GUI wheel menu

TanG said:
Bahh. I hate trackballs. I can't stand them. Pushing mice around takes a LOT less work than trying to pinpoint a specific pixel in a bitmap using a trackball. I don't know...maybe it just takes practice. Whatever, I don't have time to practice. :D

If you have a meatal table, you are screwed, the signals are blocked. Also, last time I checked your wireless devices were infrared and you really hated them? ;)

2 dollar mouse pad would cure a metal table.....But I would go Optical all the way anytime. I love it because it is quieter and lot more accurate. Sides I like using it on the table without having to worry about friction from the ball slipping.....OPTICAL ALL THE WAY...and I have a thing for Microsoft Mouses.......

I think I'm the only person left on the planet who prefers ball mice...

I've had troubles with optical mice being overly pick with what surfaces I use, roaming when my hand isn't on them, stuttering when the system is at full load, and giving lower response rates than my overclocked PS/2 ball mouse.

Ball mice work as well as optical mice do if you get a good surface and use PS2/Rate (which will give you 200hz, 75hz more than USB without requiring system resources).

I have tried both cordless and cord opticals.
I must say the dual optical from logitechs are too sensitive and fast for me.
I'm happy with the regular logitech opticals.
The microsof intelli's are very comfy mouses, both cord and cordless are great.
If you are a serious gamer, i would avoid the cordless (logitech and m$). I've experienced some lag-time; nevertheless, still great mouses when it comes to browsing and what not.
you cant go wrong with either one, just go to BestBuy or something and try them out if they feel right in your palm.

Dragonbud said:
I have tried both cordless and cord opticals.
I must say the dual optical from logitechs are too sensitive and fast for me.
I'm happy with the regular logitech opticals.
The microsof intelli's are very comfy mouses, both cord and cordless are great.
If you are a serious gamer, i would avoid the cordless (logitech and m$). I've experienced some lag-time; nevertheless, still great mouses when it comes to browsing and what not.
you cant go wrong with either one, just go to BestBuy or something and try them out if they feel right in your palm.

I would use the dual optical from logitech myself, but I just can't get used to the feel of it. Besides the lag time that you may or may not experience with a cordless. If you're a gamer you'll understand this one...
... Imaging being in the middle of the greatest game of your life. Then the batteries in your mouse die.

Oh the cursing and swearing you'd hear outta my mouth if that ever happened to me. But seeing as I don't use cordless mice, it's not a problem.

I would go with the corded Dual Optical Mouseman for gaming since it comes with 4 buttons. I also like the feel of it, but if you are left handed.............then you can use it. I dont know if they make a left handed one.

Back