• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with buying Dual Setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trey_w

hey guys, i have been wanting to build a dual machine...

i really don't want to spend alot of money though....

i don't care if its AMD or Intel...

Things that are important to me..

I need a motherboard that is reliable and dependable..
onboard LAN, [ sound, video (not a must)]
dont care about onboard SCSI or Raid, as i have a PCI SCSI card and will be using the software raid in Win 2000 server....
need to be able to use sdram and or DDR... and support at least 1 gig

Processors need to be at least 700mhz to 1.2mhz....

This machine will be used to run Win 2000 server...
Basic functions will be a domain controller, VPN server, and possible mail and a small web server...

There will be approx. 5 machines total that will access the server... on my lan

Thanks

Trey

I would suggest a Tyan s2460 with 2 XP1600's ... all off of newegg.com for under 300.

Then just get a network card b/c its got 6 pci slots :D

That's the best bang for the buck IMHO.

You could go with an MSI board if you want to overclock a lot... but the s2460 is extremely stable.

thx, do you think that that setup will handle what i want it too...

I think it would.........

Oh yes, this would handle what you are doing.

Your bottlenecks might only be your network or Hard disk.

well im runiing a 10/100 network...

and i will be using 10000 rpm Ultra 160 HDD's in some type of raid config... not sure which yet

ok, i looked and it will cost me 283 dollars for the 2 xp 1600's and the Tyan Mobo

Now i need memory, a case w psp, and video card.....

I would like to do this for a total of less than $500...

can yall help

thanks

Here's a good Antec case & 400w psu for $69 http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?description=11-125-604&DEPA=1

Here's some memory (this is where ur gonna hurt)... you will probably want to do 2 of these.. Registered, ECC 512 meg DDR ram at $150 a pop. http://www.crucial.com/store/PartSpecs.asp?imodule=CT6472Y265

As for video, one of these will work, but u should be able just to find a really crappy vid card hangin around. This is a 32 meg ATI Rage 128 card. Only $27.http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduct.asp?description=14-102-211&depa=1

bought me unbuffer ram and they work fine in the first 2 slots.
MSI K7D board with 2 XP1600.

I would suggest NOT going with XP chips since this is a mission critical server.

I would suggest 1.2 or 1500+ MP chips, since these will carry a warranty when used in SMP, just in case.

Slightly slower clockspeed will not make a difference - what WILL is memory - sounds like this server should be running a minimum of 1 GB RAM. 1.5 GB to 2 GB preferable.

sb

ya, i agree with you.. I was thinking about it more and i really think i should get a retail cpu for the warranty, its not that much more..

But, from what i have seen, the MP's cost more....

do you recommend the same MOBO for the MP chips???

I like the fact that the MOBO cost less than 200 dollars

also, i am going to pay a little extra and use ecc memory, as i have seen to many problems when 1 gig or more of ram is used that is not ecc....

but, do i really need crucial... i mean, i am not going to overclock this, thats what my other rigs are for...

First off, You dont need crucial. Just go with a good brand. That way you know what your getting is good.
To my knowledge the Morgan Cores carry a warranty with SMP right?
Ive been using 2 1.3 Durons with my Tyan 2466 MPX board, running great IMO.
I cant say how well the MP's would run on the MP board, Ive only seen them used on MPX, but I think it would. Check out www.2cpu.com s forums. Odds are someone in there can tell yea if theyve done that or not.

Morgans don't carry the warranty if you use them in SMP. It just so happens that they work w/o modification.

Which board we recommend makes no difference - they're all designed specifically for the MP chips.

You NEED (notice capital letters) Registered DDR for the TigerMP. Very, very few people I have touched base with sucessfully use unbuffered (standard) PC2100 with the Tyan boards. Tyans seem to have trouble with the Crucial Registered ECC PC2100 for some reason. Another name brand RAM might be advisable with the Tyan board. And quality memory is quality memory, and as such it's less likely to fail, whether overclocking or not.

I know this may make me look like a hypocrite since my main rig is running dual Morgans and half a gig of regular Crucial PC2100 but it's my personal machine and not a mission critical server. You don't cut corners on anything that needs stability. (Not that I have had any problems - I haven't - but I am beginning to think that I am the exception, not the rule)

Any other questions?

sb

well, i think i am going to up my budget a little

my best friend has a wholesaler that gives him really great deals for his business...

So it looks like i will be using 2 Athlon MP chips and 2 512 ecc sticks of memory to start out....

SickBoy said:
Morgans don't carry the warranty if you use them in SMP. It just so happens that they work w/o modification.

Thanks for the clarification there SickBoy.

Back