• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Computer?? or...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mac_dm

Registered
I would like to upgrade my girlfriend computer for chrismas... I wanted to get her a Burner and another Hard drive.. but i find out that it is running a 233 Mz... the motherboard can handle 500mz.. and i know that i could get a burnner to run at that speed but i really dont want to by anymore hardware for that piece of ... i have had it for like 6 years.. it has been to war and back..i guess the floppy controller just went out... so i and asking what would you guys do... i cant spend a bunch out money.. i can tring to get a computer myself.. is there an cheap way to do this.. or should just start looking for another gift?? :(

well with a burner and a hard drive i would guess you could bang togather a 950 mhz duron system for south of 300 bux if you use all old perferials, possibly south of 250bux depending on the status (new used refurb) of the hard drive and other components. It would also depend on what you could salvage, you might just salvage the HDD, if its IDE and no slower than 5400 RPMs. And the flopy too. Also a modem, even if the board is an old AT with ISA slots just get a mobo with an ISA slot. Depending on the status of your current hardware and technology level, you could do it for 250. If thats considered a bunch of money to you, then you might want to look elsewhere for a gift.

See i am in the military.. and i gave that computer to her like a year ago.. i have not seen it since.. so i would have know idea what kind of condition those devices are in... i would guess the only thing i might be able to save is the hard drive... i would need to get a new case to so i mite as well just get her a new system...

If you have any idea what the make/model of tht system is OR what chipset it's using I can recommend possible upgrades for it.

Intel AL440LX chipset will not upgrade past 533mhz, but you can install a Classic Celeron 533mhz on a slotket and she'll be able to do anything she wants to with ease.

Intel 440BX chipsets will upgrade to or beyond 650mhz depending on what multipliers are supported. That would allow you to upgrade to a PIII 650mhz or better.

No matter what her current configuration is, it will probably be cheaper than a building completely new machine.

I really could not tell you for sure... if i had to guess it would be the intel AL440LX... how much would the celeron 533Mhz cost??

Mac_dm said:
I really could not tell you for sure... if i had to guess it would be the intel AL440LX... how much would the celeron 533Mhz cost??

I think Directron do them for $40? I saw someone post in another thread.

David

Back