• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Refubed CPUs??!?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jwhitehorn

Ok, i think i just saw the scariest thing just now on newegg. I was checking out the refub section, and noticed that they have refubed Intel CPUs?!. Ok, maybe i'm not the biggest Intel fan, but comeon, refubing CPUs? Are these the ones that some dude overclocked too much, and decided to return and say it never work? I personally dont think i would buy a refuberd CPU, but thats just me. Just tought i would see what ya'll had to say about the idea.

These probably work fine. Generally, a CPU either works perfectly well or not at all. Newegg isnt known for scamming ppl, so these should be of the working variety. Could be a good deal if they're real cheap. Don't expect them to be good overclcokers though, since that's likely to be one of the top reasons working CPUs get returned.

*edit* Just went to newegg to take a look. Wow, the prices on those CPUs suck! I could get new chips of the same variety cheaper! What are they smoking?! $80 for a refurb 1ghz Tualeron?! :beer:

Last edited:
i'm not familiar with newegg (me being from australia and all :p )
but they could also be pulled from fully working systems that they bought at auction.

you know, a company upgrades/goes bankrupt they auction off the gear and newegg buys a pallet load of perfectly good systems and sells the parts individualy.

there are plenty of such companies in australia that do that.

I dont doubt that these chips are what they saw they are. I wouldnt for an instant think that newegg would sell something with the intent to mislead. I was just amazed that Intel has refurbs.

Intel doesn't refurbish chips. Repairing a chip is impossible. All the 'refurbished' status on Newegg means is that they took a returned or pulled chip, plugged it into a mobo, verified that it works, and are now trying to sell it.

slim_lim said:
Intel doesn't refurbish chips. Repairing a chip is impossible. All the 'refurbished' status on Newegg means is that they took a returned or pulled chip, plugged it into a mobo, verified that it works, and are now trying to sell it.

You'd be suprised HOW many returns are perfect condition parts SIMPLY because the customer bought wrong motherboard for the wrong CPU. I've had several people complain to me that their Duron or Celeron won't fit properly in their Socket 7 system. I try so hard not to laugh...

Back