• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cheap yet decent dualie setup?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jay23

yep.. its that time for me to look into dualies!

what is a decent mobo(with a few o/cin'g abilitys... say multi/fsb/voltage) and 2 cpu's(perferably 1ghz each...maybe more depending on price)

i prefer an amd system over an intel :)

Take a look at my sig... the MB/processor combo was $300 on the nose, pretty decent if you ask me, though the AthlonXP 1600+ chips are dang cheap now and are easily modded for SMP....

SickBoy said:
Take a look at my sig... the MB/processor combo was $300 on the nose, pretty decent if you ask me, though the AthlonXP 1600+ chips are dang cheap now and are easily modded for SMP....

But seriously tricky if u wish to change the mulitiplier.

regards,
Henry

What kind of FSB will that motherboard hit? I'm thinking of dual AGOIA 1600XP's overclockerd.

And does it need ECC ram?

is the only difference between the MP and XP chips is the bridge connections on the XP's to make them smp compatible?

edit:
Caffinehog said:
And does it need ECC ram?

the tiger mpx can take a certain amount of non ecc but most dually boards require reg ECC ram if im correct

ALL mobos with AMD760MPX chipset accept unbuffered RAM in the first two slots. All dual AMD mobos except Tyan 2460 and 2462 have the 760MPX chipset.

The MP chips also have the multiplier bridges unlocked.

Don´t expect too much OC from these boards. Propably you cannot go over 145 Mhz FSB.

regards,
Henry

PYROMANIAC said:
the tiger mpx can take a certain amount of non ecc but most dually boards require reg ECC ram if im correct

The Tiger MPX will take 4 gigs of non-ECC if you can find registered non-ECC 1024MB sticks.

In general, it's better to use registered dimms with the AMD760mpx chipset (though I have found that you can fill the boards with non-registered ram and they will be fairly stable) . I don't think ECC matters at all.

Back