• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What killed mobo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eletrium

Registered
Okay, I am on motherboard number 3 from ECS (K7S5A). I think they are complete and utter junk at this point. The first two came DOA (I think;)).

The last I was ultra-ultra cautious. I wanted to do the bare minimum to get it to post to see if it was alive. I didn't even screw it in, I just hooked up the RAM, Power switch, Power, and Vid card. Posted fine. I took out the CPU to put arctic silver on it. Posted fine. Now, I started to screw it in to the case (Enermax). On the third screw, the screwdriver, a smallish one, fell into the motherboard. Its been de-magnetized. I hit the side of the case and the bottom end of the mobo at the same time, and a capacitor bent about a millimeter. Now it will not post. When I screwed it in, I didn't screw any of them too tight. I put plastic washers that came with the Enermax case on the screws. The screw holes are actually lined in metal. Is it possible I shorted it out?

Is ECS just ultra-sensative? I have worked with computer components in the past, installing video cards, RAM, Video RAM (on an old Matrox Mystique, wow, 6MB!!!), sound cards, CD-ROM drives, hard drives, floppy drives so many times I cant even count. I even put together a Pentium about 5 years ago. I have never lost a single part to static. I was working on a tile floor. The video card and RAM are still fine. I wouldn't think its static. But obviously, I am doing something very wrong. :(

On a side note, I am glad that I trie dto post it after each step. Now I know (at least I think I do) where I messed up.

Are there other boards that may be less sensative? Are there special screws I should use to screw in the mobo, such as nylon?

Has anyone ever had this problem before? Although I have built systems in the past and am a software engineer, I consider myself completely green in building computers at this point, but able to learn. Thank you for any help :) :beer:;) ;)

Try clearing the CMOS with the jumper (refer to manual).

If you didn't damage any of the bits the only part you could short is the CMOS, which is easily recoverable.

Just make sure to lay down your case on it's side next time. Working on them in vert is darned impossible. Only some motherboards have issues with using metal screws in the certain holes. 99.9% of all motherboards won't have any problems with using metal ones.

Back