• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to configure AIM with Routers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AZN

AznSniper
about once or more each week i see a new person asking how to get AIM to send files and still use the Router. Well guyz, i got great news, and u dont have to disable the firewall.

At defualt settings the AIM port is 5190. What u must do to recieve files is go into FORWARDING of your router and enter port 5190. That port will need to be forwarded to your LAN IP. Use both TCP and UDP Protocols. That should allow u to recieve file with AIM. Now if for some strange reason that doesnt work u can try enabling DMZ for your LAN IP.

Dont forget your other party. If he/she has a router/firewall they too will need to configure there setup.

MSN works the same way. Just forward the defualt ports 1080 to ur LAN IP.

I hope this will clear up the confusion with routers and DMZ. If you didnt know. DMZ just allows 1 IP to be firewall free. But you still must forward the ports to the IP you have on DMZ.

The thing what most people seem to overlook with routers is that the NAT sometimes doesnt forward ports to your IP. Thats what the Port Forwarding page is for.

AZN

"Dont forget your other party. If he/she has a router/firewall they too will need to configure there setup."

thats the hard part my friend some people I talk to are pretty thick headed.

I thank you for writing that, its just for me I am so used to having a perfect solution and guess in this case there isn't exactly

Last edited:
triflux said:
"Dont forget your other party. If he/she has a router/firewall they too will need to configure there setup."

thats the hard part my friend some people I talk to are pretty thick headed.
well then they just wont get files. But if u change ur router setting u will be able to recieve.

AZN

finnally! i've been trying to figure that port for aim for years =D thnx

aim

I will try this one more time. <sigh> I don't want to expose my computer via DMZ. Seems to me that Linksys routers have especially picky firewalls when it comes to file-sharing. I have not been able to share or recieve files, and in many cases I can't even game online, whether the ports are forwarded or not. i should probably just set-up an ftp server...

Last edited:
If any1 wants to hit me up on AIM its "cravenkay" MSN is "[email protected]"
I dont mind and will help any1 that needs it. I won't garrantee success but i will try my best to get u configured correctly. So far i havent failed.

AZN

What if you have 3-4 PCs on your internal network and you want them all to be able to fully use AIM, MSN, etc..?

I've not tried AIM but I've forworded port's for ICQ on both PC's connected to my LAN. Now I can recieve files :). Before I never could. Thank's AZN. You've been a great help.
Only problem I'm having now is my PC upstair's (one I built for the wife for school) will lockup every now and then. Then I'll loose the network connection and cannot access the internet or anything. Finaly after a while of screwing around it will come back. I think I figured it out though. I think my Soundblaster live card is going bad or something. Cuase I'll loose the sound sometime's when this happen's. I took it out and enabled the onboard sound on the board and all seem's ok now. But we'll see. Although I think the NIC card and Soundblaster card were sharing IRQ 12 though. So that could have been the problem as well. The onboard is sharing IRQ 12 with the NIC as well. But does'nt seem to be causing any trouble's. If it does I'll have to move the NIC up a slot or two.

I've got to get it figured out soon though. The wife get's all upset when the PC's arent working right. She think's I'm trying to tweak and screw around to much and that's why it won't work. Could'nt imagine why she would think such a thing :). But the PC upstairs is not tweaked or overclocked at all (yet hehehe). But she would'nt believe me anyway.

Dude thanx. I always had trouble with AIM transfers, back in my AOL DSL days (no router) I couldnt transfer files out. I could never initiate the connection. Now I should be ableto do so. TY.

Note: MSN never had a problem sharing files or net meeting. Hence I say once again anything that is AOL related is da debbil!

bdf24,

do u know how to change IRQ? if not then just try another PCI slot if u can. But always leave the PCI slot next to the AGP free. That one is share with the agp if u dont have a AGP VC. U can use it if u have no choice. but i always leave it open.
since this is affecting only ur wifes pc i dont think it will fix it but its always nice to have the latest firmware for ur router. It generally helps fix alot of crap on the router.

BEFSR41
thats the 4 port linksys firmware. I read from your other post thats what u use.

AZN

Can O' Beans said:
What if you have 3-4 PCs on your internal network and you want them all to be able to fully use AIM, MSN, etc..?
good question. I'll look into it. I guess for now untill i figure it out u can only do 1 at a time. U can switch ports in the router whenever u need the other pc to recieve. I know its kinda silly but it works.

I dont know if this will work but u can try adding the ports to all the LAN IPs u want. Not sure but it might confuse the router and only allow the first IP to work.
I'll look into this and see if i can find the answer to multiple IPs.

AZN

I know with Netgear routers will only let you forward ports to one machine at a time.

On some routers you can add a service, this allows certain ports like 5190 for aim to be used my multi machines at once. I've seen this function on netgears, not sure if other routers have the function aswell.

Another way around it is to use Trillian, this allows you to specify which ports you want to send and recieve on. I use this here at home for 2 machines, each uses different forwarded up and down ports.

i still havent found the answer yet, but a quick fix could be setting AIM to use different ports. 5191 maybe. The only thing is i dont know if those ports will interrfear with any other ports.

AZN

Well I have a TrendNet DSL router, so I'll try messing around with it.

I've always had problems with forwarding, everything works fine on the internal LAN, but nothing can be seen from the outside. One of these days I'll set a single PC up instead of the router & see if it's the router or my ISP blocking most of the ports.

Can O' Beans said:
Well I have a TrendNet DSL router, so I'll try messing around with it.

I've always had problems with forwarding, everything works fine on the internal LAN, but nothing can be seen from the outside. One of these days I'll set a single PC up instead of the router & see if it's the router or my ISP blocking most of the ports.
$$ says its your router.

Yeah... I wouldn't bet on it as chances are good that I'd lose ;)

Just have been too lazy to put a single PC on the net & test it out :rolleyes:

It's a 1 port TrendNet router going into a 8-port 10/100 switch feeding the internal LAN.

u dont have to test it out, im almost positive its the router. have u tried port forwarding? what were your problems?

AZN

I set all the ports I was trying to use to the IP of my server PC. I could see it on the internal IP just fine, but neither I nor a friend could see it on the external IP.

No servers would ever work with it, web, UT, etc... but it didn't bother me much at the time. ISP is a very low end DSL ISP.. $10 a month for the service, very low upload speed as well :(. I was just makign server for practice, and to have a very small webpage, etc...

Brother works at Best Buy, so I can get a cheap Linksys, etc...

They just got cable in my area, so the whole setup might change soon anyway.

Also,
Are there any higher end routers that work with DSL/Cable and offer support for multiple servers, etc? Would it even need to be a "DSL/CABLE"? Isn't the connection out of the modem your basic 10-baseT connection?

multiple servers? what are u asking? i dont quite know ur setup or what u want out of it. But for the most part the linksys is ok for home use and u can hookup as many servers as u like. yes it would need to be dsl or cable. It wont route T lines and stuff.

AZN

Back