Hard Drive activity neon

Hard Drive Activity Neon

I have had this idea of controlling a neon light by the hard drives activity for a while and finally got around to doing it. This was actually very easy to do. The main thing that is needed to do this is either a solid state relay or a suitable transistor or MOSFET. I used a solid state relay with a 3-24 Volt input and 60 volt output. A relay is the simpler but more expensive way to do this where a transistor can be found for less than a dollar but will require proper biasing.

Obviously the way you want to do this is by connecting the relay to the HD LED connector on the motherboard. I disconnected the led and measured the voltage at the connector to be 5 volt. Connect this to the input of the relay and connect the neon in series with a 12 volt rail and the output of the relay and vuala, a hard drive activity neon.

Note: you can not connect both the led and your relay or it won’t work, at least it didn’t for me. Apparently the led drains all of the current and doesn’t allow the relay to switch.

Warning: If you computer is in your bedroom this could cause Sleeplessness headaches and seizures :-P
    Mobile Athlon XP 2600+
    Thermalright SLK-900A w/vantec tornado @5v
    Abit NF7-S v2
    PQI PC3200 2x256
    Western Digital 120Gb 8Mb cache
    ATI 9800SE
    NEC 2500
    Toshiba SDM_1212 DVD<- Finally died, she was a faithful beasts:p... Now back from the dead in another box thanks to an "organ donor"!!!

whoa so does ur neon blink around everytime ur hard drive is processing?

Originally posted by NoKtEm
    whoa so does ur neon blink around everytime ur hard drive is processing?
    yep, just like the led on the front of the case used to
    Mobile Athlon XP 2600+
    Abit NF7-S v2
    PQI PC3200 2x256
    ATI 9800SE
    NEC 2500
    Toshiba SDM_1212 DVD<- Finally died, she was a faithful beasts:p... Now back from the dead in another box thanks to an "organ donor"!!!

definately groovy man. seems like it might get a little bothersome, but still neat.

Originally posted by SpaceRangerJoe
    definately groovy man. seems like it might get a little bothersome, but still neat.
    thanks, I dont have a digital camera or i would post some pics. A picture wouldn't do very well at capturing the effect anyway.
    Mobile Athlon XP 2600+
    Abit NF7-S v2
    PQI PC3200 2x256
    ATI 9800SE
    NEC 2500

nice idea... if i thought I could take that on top od the flashing blue leds in my fans... I would give it a try... I think that bay just torn out to be too much flashing though... heh oh well... kewl idea though =)
    My Current Rig---> Antec (Chemming) 1080 tower - 430 true power PSU --> ABIT KX7-333R -->
    AMD XP 1700+ (T-Bred B DLT3C) 166FSB x12.5 @1.60Vcore *Rock Solid* --> Thermalright SLK-900U w/ random 92mm --> Gainward GF4 Ti4200 128MB w/ CoolJag 1U HSF--> SB Audigy --> Corsair XMS 2700 2x512 = 1024
    --> Maxtor 80GB ATA133 & Maxtor 120GB ATA133 --> NIC, CD-RW, DVD-ROM, A$$ load of fans

--> It may not look good... hell, it may not even work well... um... I uh... I forgot where I was going with this...
    -----> "If brute force doesn't work you aren't using enough." - Random book of which I have forgotten -
    ---------> Drink more Tea!!

Thats cool I remember my friend had an old noisy HD so he put it in the case with the sound sensor on his neon near it and it went with the HD. It was cool but then again it picked up other noised like music. I like you idea, pretty cool.
    i7 920 @ 4.2Ghz
    Asus Rampage II GENE
    2x BFG GTX285
    6GB Crucial Dominator 1600
    Crucial 750TX

Help find cures for cancer by running Folding @ Home.

HEATWARE