• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI K7D Master

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RnPgrosz

Hey guys,

I am just about ready to put my dual system together. I was installing the heatsinks earlier and realized that the Alpha Pal would not fit on the secondary cpu on the K7D. The AX-7 was a tight fit on my primary cpu but I don't know if it will fit on the secondary cpu. Now my question is for those of you using this board, what heatsink(s) are you using? I need something that performs fairly well and that will fit on the secondary cpu. Thanks

I use thermalright sk6's on the main rig. I'm sure the slk800 would fit on there.

BTW

you can take some material off that second ax7 and it should fit. The little HS on the voltage regulator is in the way.

here is a pichttp://www.acranox.org/k7dax7.html

Last edited:
I use the Gladiators right now...they keep them at a nice 45C at full load and at about 40idle...and right now it is hot as a mofo so I can understand why...and I need more case fans...it is coming soon ;)

http://www.overclockers.com/articles577/ that is the article on them...I love them....very quite, great cooling, fit fine, and a price you can't beat...

Spec

jbslow said:
I use thermalright sk6's on the main rig. I'm sure the slk800 would fit on there.

BTW

you can take some material off that second ax7 and it should fit. The little HS on the voltage regulator is in the way.

here is a pichttp://www.acranox.org/k7dax7.html

I think I will just take of the part of the AX-7 that is in the way, do you think a dremel would do the job? Also thanks spec ops for the input.

mospedas, that quote in your profile is not from tenshi ni narouman is it? if so, that is about the most brainwashingly retarded anime i have ever seen >_<"

I use Volcano 7+'s. Both on my K7D Master and on the Forums server. CPU's (XP1900's) in the Forums server run about 37C. The XP 1600's on the K7D under full folding load run 43C.

skip said:
I use Volcano 7+'s. Both on my K7D Master and on the Forums server. CPU's (XP1900's) in the Forums server run about 37C. The XP 1600's on the K7D under full folding load run 43C.

I will definitely look into the Volcano 7+, I will be at a comp show tomorrow and I know they always have the 7+ so I think I may get it. Not to confident in my modding/dremel skills.:)

I use SVC GC68's on my MSI K7D and Tyan Tiger MP. $7 a piece at svcompucycle.com They keep my temps between 43 and 49 degrees.

EDIT. They're $6, now.

Last edited:
cmcquistion said:
I use SVC GC68's on my MSI K7D and Tyan Tiger MP. $7 a piece at svcompucycle.com They keep my temps between 43 and 49 degrees.

Are those copper?

I just picked up a Volcano 7+ at the computer show and I'm just about to hook it up. I appreciate all the advice guys!

cmcquistion said:

I use those on one dually too. They work fine but the copper base was terrible on both I spent atleast 30mi laping those puppies if I knew it required all that work I would of made some money and bought two more sk6's.

They don't have a copper base. They're all aluminum. The thing that makes them work so well is their design, utilizing an 80 mm fan. I use the stock fans sometimes, sometimes I replace it with a Panaflo L1A (for lower speed computers, like 1.2 GHz or lower), and on my overclocked MSI K7D, I use Enermax adjustable 80 mm fans, so I have more cooling control.

P.S. They also have a small footprint. I have installed them on probably a dozen different motherboards and have never had a problem.

Geez, I'm starting to sound like a salesman. Rest assured, I'm not. I just really love these heatsinks. I bought 25 of them for work. Replaced every noisy heatsink on every K7 and K6 machine in the building (450 MHz to 1433 MHz). Used Panaflo L1A's on all of them. They're damn near silent! Never lapped any of them, either. They have a very smooth base.

Ok I just booted up my main rig with my newly modded Ax7's w/ ys 48cfm fans :) . Looks pretty nice my temps are good running at [email protected]. I didnt want to let those AX7's go to waste it was actually really easy to mod them the fins are made of aluminum and thats a pretty soft metal , anyone can do it this worth the effort if you have the HSF.

jbslow said:
Ok I just booted up my main rig with my newly modded Ax7's w/ ys 48cfm fans :) . Looks pretty nice my temps are good running at [email protected]. I didnt want to let those AX7's go to waste it was actually really easy to mod them the fins are made of aluminum and thats a pretty soft metal , anyone can do it this worth the effort if you have the HSF.

Nice job,How are your temps and what is your fsb at?

Well I moved my comps into the spare room and they seem to be raising the room temp alot all my cpu's run about 3-5c hotter in this room compared to the front room. Anyway the temps are 46c and 52c but they can flux up and down 4c loaded its crazy. 12.5 x 140 = 1750mhz

update on the ax7's I guess the temps are settling in so it looks like the 1st cpu averages 44c and the other one is 51c. There has to be something wrong with my airflow I need to add a fan in the side panel right over the hot cpu that should help equal out those temps. Look at my other dual it has the sk6's with 32cfm fans no doubt their further back from the side panel and the temps are closer cpu1 44c cpu2 47c on average.

+edit+

I was playing in the bios of the dual @ 1.67ghz and I had the voltage at 1.725 so after lowering back to 1.675v I have new temps 41 and 45c average a nice 2-3c temps dropage.

Last edited:
Back