• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Seti in Secret:mad:

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CPFitz14

Well, kinda p***** me off a few nights ago. Left the computer on, crunchin away. My dad comes in and is like " what's that noise" I say the computer. "doing what" he says. I'm mad mostly cause he woke me up. Then he says he's cuttin my internet cause i'm doing things like this. I explained it, and have the net back now, but no seti he says. So i crunch in secret. Still tryin to help the OC team, but i can get only like 2 or 3 wu's a week.

-CPFitz-:mad: :mad: :mad:

Sorry to hear about your troubles but while in the Parental Units house you must abide by their rules. :/

Cy

You did your best. If you can't crunch you did what you could to contribute to the team so don't sweat it.

G'Luck

Sounds like you need a quieter computer. Run SETI on a RAM driver so you can turn off the disks and unplug any un need fans.

My wife hates a loud computer, so I had to do all I could to keep the sound down while crunhing so she does not turn it off.

You're not alone.

My dad thinks SETI causes all the problems I have with my computer, although since I paid for my computer he can't dictate what I can run on it. :)

-Joe

What's his basis for forbidding you to run SETI? My parents weren't too keen on the idea but I explained to them what the SETI project does and why it helps us, and I do pay a nominal fee toward the electric bill every month for leaving my 3 PC's on 24/7 to crunch (based on price of energy and energy consumed by the PC's), but they do not have a problem with it now. My dad even runs the screensaver on his PC now.

Of course, don't be too forceful. If he still says no there isn't much you can do.

If you're stealing SETI time just don't get caught or your parents'll sue you for hundereds of thousands of dollars.

Tell your parents it was either the local SETI group or the local "Youth of America on crack cocaine" club. Then ask them if they think you made the right choice. :D

eobard said:
If you're stealing SETI time just don't get caught or your parents'll sue you for hundereds of thousands of dollars.

Tell your parents it was either the local SETI group or the local "Youth of America on crack cocaine" club. Then ask them if they think you made the right choice. :D
This almost made sense, but my bong water is sh** brown :D

Quiet that pc down so he don't know it's running, it amazes me how people can't comprehend that pc's don't really raise the power bill that much if anything, specially one machine. :D

Got NT? Run SETI as a service in the background. He won't notice it.

If his peeve is with the machine just being on, then make up some computer speak gibberish that he won't understand.

"Oh, I'm rendering a new video card, so I can callibrate the vertex shader, and speed up how the thing reinitializes the BIOS data from the ROM to the RAM. Then it'll start writing a piece of code that lets Windows download data from the sound card, and increase the number of bytes in the FSB."

That load of BS makes my head hurt, but you get my drift.

Just make sure he doesn't understand WTF you're talking about. He DOES need to understand, however, that it's an important task that must be finished.

Of course, once this task is complete, be sure to start another one. :D

"My power switch is broken. If I turn off the PC I can never turn it on again"

Might work...? :D

David

If all else fails FOLD for TEAM 32! He may be a little more sympathetic to research for a cure for Alzheimers, Parkinsons etc. than looking for Seti. I don't want to try to steal you away from the Seti team but a kid that works for me was in a similar situation recently and he asked his parents if he could run a cancer research project and they went for it! Now I just need to get him to Fold for Team 32.:D
Good luck!

im at home curently from colage but move in to a new house with people in september so myn can go back on 24/7
(im upstairs and u can hear it down stairs and mum stresses u can even hear typing on it)

aftermath said:
mum stresses u can even hear typing on it
Blow her ear drums out with a starter's pistol while she's sleeping?
silly.gif

Seriously, don't do that.

Back