• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heads up for you "old foogies"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mpegger

Heads up for us "old foogies"

Just a friendly reminder for all of you that had computers back when floppy disk were the norm.

Get those floppies archived!

I was just thinking about my old copy of Flight Simulator 5.0 and decided to start archiving all my old floppy disk. Thier about 10 years old and although kept in a safe place, 2 of the disk were giving problems reading.:eek:

Lucky I got them to finally read (I hope). Gonna resurrect my old 486 and see if in fact thier still good.

I just missed the days of the "5.25" and entered my computing days with the takeover of the "3.5 hard disk".:p

Ahhh, those were the days. My Windoze 3.1 takes up 6 "3.5", and I used that well into the time that the Pent2's were introduced.:eek:

lol...I LOVED those days and I sometimes miss them...kinda wish I could go back and relive them....

The good old days...:(

Spec

you were lucky only two of them gave you problems, after ten yrs past!

Dude, don't remind me..... I've got about 150 disks sitting haphazardly in my room, with who-knows-what on them. Probably some picture I had to save or something. And for the disks I DO know what's on, most of them are dead. For example, disk 3 of my Descent floppies (ooooo... I love that game) is dead and so I can't save the installer! It's good that I have the game allready installed though.

And BTW: Floppies are still the main way I save things. I just got a new burner, but can't seem to use any of the CD-Rs because I don't have anything I want permantly on disk. (P.S. Floppy Floppies RULE!)

JigPu

JigPu said:
And BTW: Floppies are still the main way I save things. I just got a new burner, but can't seem to use any of the CD-Rs because I don't have anything I want permantly on disk. (P.S. Floppy Floppies RULE!)

JigPu

I remember my old Commodore 64 days.

A box of 10 single sided 360k floppies would set me back about 40 bucks.

Now I buy cheap CD-Rs...100 for 35 bucks. Anytime I need to give a file to a friend, I just burn it on a CD. If I want to save files, I throw them in a temp directory until I figure I have enough to burn on a CD.

Never trusted floppys, too many go bad for no reason (brand names) just when I needed the contents.

I keep one floppy drive in case I need to boot to Dos, but thats a rare occasion now.

I had a job where for the first hour or 2 every night I would
sit and watch an IBM Sys/36 backup onto 60-70 of those
monster floppys. (I think they were 10 or 8 inches...)

The reader would let me load 2 magazines with 10 floppies in
each one, and I would sit and smoke cigarettes.

Heh, what I miss most about those days are telling people you are a computer geek. Now it's a normal thing, but back then, you were a mysterious person and everyone thought you had this godly thing in your hands in which you could hack NASA and the IRS and send someone to the moon if you wanted.

I actually still have a combo 3 1/2" 5 1/4" drive in my pentium2 system, but the 5 1/4" part doesn't seem to work any more. I think it may be because my sister tried to jam a cd in there a while back (ruined my office 200 cd too). I still have several games that I should back up onto cd, but it's really not necessary. If it's old enough to have been distributed on floppies, it's old enough to easily find on the internet in one nice little zip file.

Besides...I'm running win2k now. My DOS games don't like me.

Last edited:
I had an old Commodore 64 with tons on games on 5.25" disks. They got errors quickly and most are dead. I used to be able to fix some errors. I still have a portable C64 in my closet. Weighs more than tower nowadays.

I just found a receipt yesterday for an 8.4gig drive I bought back in 97. $122+15shipping. $137!!!!

Guero said:
I just found a receipt yesterday for an 8.4gig drive I bought back in 97. $122+15shipping. $137!!!!

I remember buying my first 40 Megabyte Miniscribe HD.
400 bucks Canadian!. I remember that brand well, it had a high pitch whine when spinning and every time the heads did a seek it sounded like fingernails on a Blackboard.

Back