• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water chiller?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

EgeWorks

I don't know if this is "Extreme Cooling" or not but there ain't much in water cooling about it.

Anyway, what are the advantages/disadvantages about running a water chiller system with an external cooler as opposed to a peltier setup? Apart from portability(not an issue in my case).

Any comments or experiences would be appieciated.

If you go the refrigeration route they are far more energy efficient than a pelt. A 100W compressor is equivalent to a 156W+ pelt. They are much cheaper to construct than a pelt system. My system cost me $20 see here .
The down side is the same as a pelt - condensation - a big problem depending on your mobo and space around the zif socket. I used a MSI K7T Turbo Raid in my 1st setup with lots of space and it was really easy and insulation worked well. My current KT3 is giving me big problems because there is a lack of space around the socket and I just lost a T'bird AXIA 1.33 to condensation. The 1600XP+ is a much better oc'er but back on water until I can come up with a new design to insulate the water block more effectively.

Tiger- Iv'e read your article before, good job BTW. I'll be using a P4. The block I've designed fits in the standard HSF mounting cage thing, so that's about as much space as I have. Its about 20-25mm all around the zif.

That's a good clearance compared to my 10mm on 2 sides. the next hurdle is ensure that there is a total air tight seal with the mobo as well. I have found that styrofoam has better insulating effect than closed foam and therefore does not need to be as thick. My plan now is to stick s/foam to the w/b and then use closed foam to seal the lower part from the s/foam to the mobo. I have also found that using a thick layer of epoxy over the zif socket tags is better than trying to seal with closed foam. Only problem is that it voids the warranty on the mobo which I have been hesitant to do on the KT3 and I think it was a short in this area that caused the loss of the T'bird

I think it it important to define "extreme" in cooling. In most
environments where computers are used you can ususally
go 5-7 degrees C below ambient before condensation can
happen. With a properly temp controlled water chiller this
is pretty easy. Far easier, in fact, than all the issues of
placing a Peltier in your PC.

You can actually cool quite a bit below ambient if you have
low humidity. Take a look at this chart.

Given your conditions, if this is "extreme" enough for you then
a water chiller is a fine solution.

Note: many people have tried to build a chiller
with Peltiers. Most failed.

If you want to go in this direction copy the design
of commercial units.

Last edited:
Tiger

That's some really good info, I never thought of styrofoam as viable but it seems like a good idea. I even have some which would be perfectly suited.

Like you, I'm a bit apprehensive about epoxying my mobo. I guess some grease and closed foam may have to do.

Tecumseh

This isn't going to be that extreme, at first anyway...I plan on having temps about 10C less than ambient ~ 50%RH. According to your graph I may or may not have condensation problems. Ambient temps will be varying but never more than 30C. But it will cut things close and it's better to be safe than sorry. So a bit of insulating won't go astray.

Note: many people have tried to builed a chiller
with Peltiers. Most failed.
If you want to go in this direction copy the design
of commercial units.

Hi,

You can also copy any or all portions of my chiller :
one 71watt pelt
one 156 watt pelt
two 2x2x.75 copper water blocks (hot side)
one 1x1x1 (very old---to be replaced very soon) lufkins water block (cold side)
one 25 watt ps
one VPC controller
one eheim 1046 pump
and a bunch of hoses, wires, relays etc

wj

Last edited:
Back