• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Volt modding a PIII 667

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TooHot!

Registered
Is it possible to volt mod a PIII 667 (copermine)? How would you do that and how much does it up the voltage?
thanks guys

I haven't done the P3 677 C-mine, but I have voltage modded two Celeron 733s and a Celeron 850 -- all of which are coppermine core. Basically I chose to set my base voltage at 1.9 volts on the two 733s and 1.95 on the 850. You can choose what you want the voltage boosted to based on which pins you connect.

I've run the 733's at 1066 Mhz for several months without incident. They will both run at 1122 with coaxing, but it requires more voltage and I don't want damage.

I run the 850 at 1097 MHz. It will run at 1147 or something like that with coaxing, but again, I don't want the extra voltage and I don't want damage.

Dave

Yes it is possible...assuming you have a FCPGA chip rather than slot-1.

The pins you need to connect depends on the default voltage of your CPU (which mainly depends on the stepping). Please let us know what the default voltage on your CPU is.

The default voltage I believe is 1.65v I want to up it to 1.75v. Yes, it is a FCPGA. I guess thats all you need to know.

Sorry dude. The 1.65v default coppermines have the least possible ways to VID pin. The only choice you have is to connect VID3 to VSS for a modified default of 2.05v which is really way too high.

Eeeks! So I really limited to how high my mobo can increase, Oh well thanks

One thing you can do, is wire wrap the VID pins for 2.05v, but then always run the voltage with a lower BIOS "user define" vcore. For example: my 2.0a P-4 was wire wrapped for 1.85v modified voltage, but I usually had it set at 1.7v or 1.75v. Set the BIOS voltage for "user define" at a reasonable voltage before doing the wire wrap. The only danger is if you ever have to clear the CMOS, the BIOS will revert back to all default settings and will think the 2.05v is default (because the wire wrap fools the BIOS). But, if you ever need to clear the CMOS, then you can always remove the VID pin wires first.

Back