• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win2kServer: Routing and RAS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

su root

Senior Member, --, I teach people how to read your
I'm having a bit of a problem with a server here:

When I fire up Routing & Remote Access MMC Console, it doesn't allow me to configure anything. Instead it does the following: When I immediately enter, it says the server is there, with no status icon. When I click on it, it says it's down. When I right click on it and try properties, it says I don't have permission (I am using the builtin administrator. I even tried removing all policies from the server and administrator, and still, "You do not have the required permissions to view the properties". When I right click and go "Disable Routing and Remote access", it does it, but still only gives me the "Disable ..." choice, and not the "Configure and Enable" choice.

I figure it's a permissions problem, but it's the local&domain administrator.. almost completely untampered with.

I've also tried adding & removing the server from the "RAS & IAS Servers" group, with no change in the outcome.

Windows 2000 Server, sp3
Server is part of Domain Controllers, and no other groups
Administrator is part of: builtin\administrators, domain admins, domain users, enterprise admins, group policy creator/owners, schema admins, server operators.

I'm gonna try to create a new administrator and see if he can do it.. any other suggestions?

*edit* the new administrator couldn't do it either, he had just domain users & domain admins, no policies.
I also tried adding him to the RAS & IAS Servers group, no luck

Last edited:
It's been a while since I messed with RAS on 2K. I think the server has to be authorized before you can do anything with it. I've had that problem of lacking rights for local admin groups with other tasks and it's always been solved by doing it as a domain admin (I think you've tried that though).

You can try un-then-reinstalling the RAS component if that's an option (like I said, it's been a while). Also you can (if it's a DC) dcpromo it down to a member server then remove it from the domain and try it again. Also I noticed you've got SP3 loaded. Did you have any issues like this prior to loading up 3? Might be something to consider, hope I've given you a few ideas.

lord_moose said:
I think the server has to be authorized before you can do anything with it.
I have tried placing it in the "RAS and IAS Servers" Group, with no effect. Another server that I have is running routing flawlessly w/o being in that group, or any special groups.

I've had that problem of lacking rights for local admin groups with other tasks and it's always been solved by doing it as a domain admin (I think you've tried that though).
Yeah, I figured I might have accidently taken some rights away from him, so I tried removing all policies on the server and on the administrator, and nothing. This admin is the domain admin, and this is a DC.

You can try un-then-reinstalling the RAS component if that's an option (like I said, it's been a while).
Can't uninstall it.. I can start & stop the service, but that does nothing.

Also you can (if it's a DC) dcpromo it down to a member server then remove it from the domain and try it again.
Yeah, if worse comes to worse, I'll backup everything, and promote another server, take it down, and reinstall it.

Also I noticed you've got SP3 loaded. Did you have any issues like this prior to loading up 3? Might be something to consider, hope I've given you a few ideas.
Actually, I was running it SP2 when the problem came up, as a last resort, I upgraded to SP3 to see if it would replace some files and fix it, no luck there.

I'm gonna keep trying different things on it, but I just found out that WINS is acting up too.. doing almost the same thing.. I can't figure it out. When I get enough time together, I'll probably reinstall it. Thanks for the reply, any more suggestions would be appreciated.

I also think it might have been a bad NIC that is causing this mess, I've removed it since, but that's about when the problem began. (Put the NIC in, and configure routing). However, I don't know if the problem was there for Routing or WINS before the NIC was installed... The NIC was used, and only for temporary use before I got a decent NIC. It was a 3com 905b.

Last edited:
Back