• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P166MMX + 192MB RAM + Win 95 = really quick!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JDXNC

I threw together a system out of parts I had lying around. Now back in the day of Windows 95.... in the day of 95 it was quite a rarity to have 192 MB of ram ( 2 64MB chips and 2 32MB chips), but seeing as I have quite the pile of 72 pin sim I thought I'd max it out. I was amazed.. for only 166Mhz windows 95 flies with no swap file! click... My computer opens instantly! I think this old rig may find a home here so that I can once again play rollercoaster tycoon! (which doesn't work on XP :( )

YAY! :D

Finally, someone ELSE who appreciates vintage gaming rigs.

My P200@250 with 64MB of RAM behaves in the exact same fashion. I fixed it up with my old VooDoo3 3000, and if I could only get Unreal to install, it'd be quite the badass gaming rig.

...for its time. :p

I just finished building my McDonalds's Machine. It's a Packard Bell 200@233, 80mb RAM, Win98se, and a TNT2 32mb nvidia card. Heheh, it's called the McDonald's Machine because I painted it red and yellow, and looks like it belongs next to the golden arches, I'll post pics in the modding section soon.

I've just done a couple of these myself, most recently an old Compaq upgraded to Pentium 200 with 72MB RAM and a 2.1 hard drive. This computer went to my younger brother as his first foray into cyberspace. This is more than adequate for somebody just getting their feet wet in the world of computers.

Good Luck!
FRANK

Yeah, because you are not putting all kinds of other junk on it to slow it down. Also you are running games that run great on those machines

Penguin4x4 said:
1GHz Celeron, 256MB RAM....takes me 5 minutes to boot up 95...

Sounds like windows is slightly cluttered or slight fragmentation prob if you ask me, only takes this P166 about 47 seconds to be fully loaded from post. that includes Norton AV 2k and MSN messenger.

My 250 takes about 30... the P166 takes about 65 with 98SE and SAH.

I really think I'll be taking the 250 with me to college, so as to force me to only browse the 'net and do homework. I couldn't concentrate with 1.4Ghz of UT weilding power sitting on the desk.

<--has a p2 350 96mb ram 6gb hdd and i keep it there to see how long it can stay on. i kept it up for 2 weeks and something days and then i unplugged it accidently :mad: i keep it idle on irc. sometimes i put it up as a AA server. Also its the "printer PC" because canon never made any drivers for their mulitpass C3000 fax/copy machine/printer but i dont complain. i got it for 25bux off ebay.

Thats odd that canon wouldn't make drivers for it.. I assume you mean for 2k or XP. I found XP drivers for my old Panasonic 24 pin Dot-matrix printer... and it still works! :cool:

Back