• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advantages?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheFrag

What are the advantages to running dual cpu's, and does anyone know were some good rescources for this kind of stuff is?Thnx

As far as I know it (not very much) dual processors share the work load. thus enabling more work to be done in a quicker time. If I remember correctly, having dual cpus depends on the OS you are running. Also, having dual cpus doesn't necessarily mean that what ever you do will automatically be faster. eg: dual celerons offer the performance of a PIII equivalent..... I THINK? someone correct me if I'm wrong.... :) (I hope this helps you at least a little)

You can run many more programs. Its slower than a single CPu system with the same cpu, in programs that are not built to utlize dual CPUs. Duals are much smoother, you can be encoding something and still be able to use the processor. If you use the computer for games dual is not for you. If you do lots of multitasking, video editing, CPU intensive programs, than a dual maybe be just what you need.

1) more resources = (A) search the forums here (B) 2cpu.com
2) Games will run slower on a dually than the same speed single proc, so will processor intensive single programs
3) dualies are great if you are going to multitask

4) DISTRIBUTED computing <something different> dualies give you TWO processors and you only need ONE ethernet, power supply, video card, memory, etc. SO, if you're into folding or SETI ......... A dulie will complete WU slightly slower than 2 singles, BUT will take up MUCH less power (electricity) and in total less heat.

So if you're building a processor farm, dualies can do it for you more convenient / less space.

Back