• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Athlon XP 1800+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

anencephic

Registered
Hello!
I was wondering if my temperatures are somewhat normal or not? I am currently runing AMD Athlon XP 1800+ with Volcano 7 on top of it, and im getting these temps.:
CPU - 59C/138F
Motherboard - 38C/100F
usually these are few degrees lower, like 55C on CPU instead of 60C, but still that is only 5 degrees. I was looking through the threads, and every time a number of 45-50C comes up, so I thought I ask you guys if my temperatures are normal? Thank you in advance!:)

Also, when i was installing Volcano 7 on my motherboard i ran into some problems. For you to understand it better im inserting an image:
a7a266.jpg
here you can see i indicated two things with numbers 1 and two. Now let me explain, while i was installing the volcano 7 i could not install it on the center pins of the socket because the diod (or whatever that is, i dont know) was in the way, i indicated it with #1, so i snaped the volcano 7 onto the other two pins which i indicated with #2. Before doing that i checked that the copper base is touching the cpu in a correct way, and that everything is in its correct place, so that nothing gets damaged. But my question is, does this effect the temperature factor? Also should i install one of those purple non-conductive shims to protect the cpu from damage? Thanks again!

dave4925 said:
These are really high. Looks like you need some case fans.
- Hmmm, i have 3 small fans blowing on the hard drive in front, and i have one case fan at the back. The on in the back is right in front of the cpu socket so as soon as air is heated it is being taken out of the case. I really dont know what to do! When i was running 1GHz Athlon i had temperatures of 50C or 55C (maximum), but now i did the upgrate and it got worse. I think it is the weather, because the air temperature (here in toronto) has been very high this summer, right now it is 30C - which is average for this summer, there were higher temps, but even though - at night temp drops to 18C-22C and the lowest temp of my CPU was 56C!!!

I think having the heatsink off to one side is a big problem. what Iwould sugest is that you take a measurement of how much metal on the HS you would need removed, adn shave it off just right where the capasitor (that thing is a capasitor) is, so it will fit. maybe a metal shop will help you or a dremmel ordril or something. your other option is to get a new HS that will fit in your socket. you shouild mention this to the motherboard manufacturer.

3 small fans on ur HDD? Do you really need any fans on a hard drive? Will it just help keep the case temp cooler and thats it... i mean, i never thought you had to worry about ur HDD overheating... at least any HDD within the past 2-3 years.

Intrepid6546 said:
I think having the heatsink off to one side is a big problem. what Iwould sugest is that you take a measurement of how much metal on the HS you would need removed, adn shave it off just right where the capasitor (that thing is a capasitor) is, so it will fit. maybe a metal shop will help you or a dremmel ordril or something. your other option is to get a new HS that will fit in your socket. you shouild mention this to the motherboard manufacturer.
Yeah ok i will try that, but how does is it a big problem? i mean the core still touches the copper base (fully), maybe i misunderstand something but i dont think that it should matter where it is? or should it? (i am not a pro in this, so i dont know much...)

youngbuck said:
3 small fans on ur HDD? Do you really need any fans on a hard drive? Will it just help keep the case temp cooler and thats it... i mean, i never thought you had to worry about ur HDD overheating... at least any HDD within the past 2-3 years.
First i wanted to buy a regular fan that would be at the bottom of my case - but then when i went to the store i saw the hdd cooler, so i though instead of just moving very little air around with little effect, why dont i buy myself an hdd cooler which will move air around plus cool my hdd! ;)

Intrepid6546 said:
Oh wOw! i did as you said, i shave it off about 4mm on the angle using a file, but when i tried to install it, guess what happened? the other capasitor (right on the other side of the socket) was causing some problems, so i shaved some metal off on that side too. Asus really has to manufacture decent motherboards, plus thermaltake should point out which motherboards do not go with its heat sinks... :mad:
well anyways, thank you for help guys!

p.s. my temps now:
cpu - 50C/122F
mobo - 36C/96F
thats about 10C drop on cpu! :D

Keep in mind that your board is an Asus and they are known for having extremely high measured temps, higher than they actually are by about 5-7C. So you could very well be running within standards and I'm willing to bet that you are.

Installing the heat sink on lugs that aren't the center is a bad idea because it puts the contact pressure off to one side of the core. But you've squared that off now so I think you're good to go.

Good temps for an Asus board. Probably around 43C in reality.

donny_paycheck said:
Keep in mind that your board is an Asus and they are known for having extremely high measured temps, higher than they actually are by about 5-7C. So you could very well be running within standards and I'm willing to bet that you are.

Installing the heat sink on lugs that aren't the center is a bad idea because it puts the contact pressure off to one side of the core. But you've squared that off now so I think you're good to go.

Good temps for an Asus board. Probably around 43C in reality.
Yeah, i actully replaced my motherboard a month ago because it was showing a 70C for motherboard temperature, and only 46 for CPU, i went to the store and they tested it for 24hours, and told me that it was a hardware error, so they replaced my motherboard for a new one. But now i realized that Asus does suck big time! :( Especially the motherboard that i have, with the AliMagic chipset... :mad:

i have almost that same setup volcano 7 xp 1800 when i had no case fans i was seeing temps around 47 full load now that i have 2 case fans i am down to 41 but anyway did you make sure that you put the volcano on right it kinda has a ridge on it and you can only put it on one way or only half the core is touched did you use the thermal pad that came with it?

I've sent an e-mail to Thermaltake and Asus about this problem, and that not only this heat sink doesnt work with A7A266 but all of the other big heat sinks on the market dont. I got a reply from Thermaltake within two days, they sent me an apology for inconvenience and they even offered me a US$5 store credit if i send them S/N of the mobo and S/N of the heat sink. How about that? :eh?: Whereas Asus never even replied, it has been more than a week now!
Asus - very bad company! :mad:

I started out about the same temps on my A7v333 and with six fand and a slk800 I am now idle at 37, full load 42,and this is with bios 1011 that makes a difference..

Back