• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking and USB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cack01

I did a search on this, and found nothing conclusive. Does USB have its own CLK speed like PCI/AGP. Or is it more like a legacy type divice. I'm having a small problem with my USB mouse, but its only when I play CS so its not o/c related. I just want to learn some stuff on how USB interacts with everything else in the big sceme of things.

thanks

From what I am aware of with usb, and usb2.0, They do have their own clock speed. Usb 1.0 gives a speed of 11Mb/s and usb 2.0 gives a transfer of 480Mb/s. And i use my USB mouse when i play CS also, but i have it in a USB2 Port, but before i had usb2, ive never had an issue with it with counter strike. If you dont mind me asking, what is the problem with it and CS?

Its almost like the mouse lags. The cross hair doesn't quite move when I move the mouse, almost like it has bad response time.

It only happens once every 10 minutes or so, and all I have to do is hit escape, then hit resume game and everything is fine. But its still annoying.

hmmm im not quite sure that is a USB issue as much as it is a CS relay issue.... does it ever happen with anything else?

cack01,I know how to fix that mouse issue....that is a direct 3d error...

Put it to OpenGL to fix that....this happened to my friend and OpenGL fixed it....think it is adirect3d + USB error...who knows:rolleyes:

Spec

turn smooth mouse off.....
that setting filters the mouse to take an average or something....
makes your aim terrbile and laggy

you got the newest drivers for the mouse???
and does it lag in any other game beside Half-life?

jay said:
you got the newest drivers for the mouse???
and does it lag in any other game beside Half-life?

I before I read this, I updated to the newest Logitech drivers and so far so good. Haven't had much testing time yet. Now if only I can get the wheel to work right.

Still no info on USB??

what kinda info do you want? lol I gave you the speeds, and i am guessing it is legacy, because of the USB Legacy Device Hub.

RubixKUB said:
what kinda info do you want? lol I gave you the speeds, and i am guessing it is legacy, because of the USB Legacy Device Hub.

Just general stuff, like if it related to the FSB at all. Does it have timings. It it controlled by anything like a north bridge. I'm just looking for real general information.

sorry i missed the part about the USB clock....
it runs at 48 MHz....
but as for FSB affecting the clock, that really is a good question and i wish i could give you the answer......

do you hvae the problems with a laggy mouse when running at stock speeds?????

also have you enabled an IRQ for your USB in your BIOS?

Well, I guess all things are evil in a way. But not Jon of course.

Jay, does enabling an IRQ have any advantages?? I'll reboot later today to check it out. As for stock speeds, I don't know, its another thing I have to check out but this problem just happened about a week ago so I don't think it was o/c related, but I'll look into it. Also I come to a preliminary conclution that the FSB doesn't effect the USB clock, b/c otherwise I would have expected mobo makers the address an issue like that. Especially when a 48+ addition to the FSB is normal now, I don't think USB could take a double in speed like that.

cack01 said:
I updated to the newest Logitech drivers and so far so good. Haven't had much testing time yet. Now if only I can get the wheel to work right.

the newest logitech drivers are the devil, they put some dirty program that turns your wheel button into a big nasty wheel of fortune style thing that pops up on your screen. i got rid of those immediately

TimDgsr said:

the newest logitech drivers are the devil, they put some dirty program that turns your wheel button into a big nasty wheel of fortune style thing that pops up on your screen. i got rid of those immediately

Underbuttons, you have to change the middle button to double click or something other then web wheel.

usb is typically integrated into the south bridge of the chipset (USB 2.0 is just beginning to see this too in new chipsets, example: AMD-8000 for the Hammer line). It is connected to the pci bus just like the integrated ata harddrive controllers except that it generates it's own internal frequency to communicate with devices. I believe the frequency is actually set by the device it connects to so as to not exceed any device's capabilities as there are 2 distinct modes a particular device can run in: high speed and normal speed. Forgive me, but I dont remember what the actual numbers are for the different modes.

hope that is what you were looking for!

PyroDragon :cool:

Back