• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Moving the Page File in XP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

drdoug26

Sorry for the newbie question.

I've created a 1 gig extended partition to hold the Pagefile.sys (paging file). I've heard MS recommends moving the page file to its own partition.

How do I move to its new home? I've tried just to drag it over but I get an error message that says its being used by another program.

I did a search and could not find anything on relocating the page file.

Please help me out.

Doug

Win XP Pro

Go through System Properties-Advanced-Performance-Settings-Advanced-Virtual Memory-Change. From here you can manage the size and drive location(s) of your paging file.

Thanks, but now I have two page files?

I was able to create a new Page file in my new partition. When I go into explorer and look I see the new page file in my S drive/partion (which is what I wanted to do) but I still see the old page file in the original C drive??????

Can I just delete this file or not worry about it or whats the deal??

It does not show up in the sys properites view?

Doug

When you go to System Properties>Advanced>Performance>Settings>Advanced>Virtual Memory>Change, you have to click on C: drive, tick disable virtual memory, and hit the set button. If you don't hit set, the change won't take place...

I've done that. When I revisit sysprop>Adv>Perf>Adv>Virtual Memory, it shows a check in the "no page file" radio button. there is no radio button that says "disable Virtual Memory'. All is well right???

BUT when I look in Explorer at the C drive its still showing a 'pagefile.sys'??? And a second Pagefile.sys in the D drive.

Do I just not worry about it and live with two Pagefile.sys's?

Doug

Thanks,

I deleted the one in the C drive. You said 'those'? I need at least one correct. The D Drive is the 1 gig partition that I created for the Page file. I can't delete that one or I'd have no page files.

Doug

Back