• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with MS Messenger

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cowboy X

Disgusting MS messenger has their auto login box very close to the password entry box and I clicked it by mistake . This now means that it will login auto and store my pword on the computer .

For me this is a no no , poor security . But I can't seem to find anyway to disable this 'feature' now :(

Any help would be appreciated .

goto start/run/gpedit.msc

user configuration
|
---- Windows components
|
Windows Messenger

Disable automatically start MS Messenger with windows

you do have win xp PRO dont you cause this dont work on home if you are unlucky enough to have that

Uninstall MSN Messenger using this: Go to Start/Run, and type: " rundll32 setupapi,InstallHinfSection BLC.Remove 128 %SystemRoot%\INF\msmsgs.inf " without the " ". then reinstall, this should do away with all the info that was saved by prior users. If not then do the delete mentioned above then locate the location that msn messenger was located C/ProgramFiles/Messenger (something like that) and delete it manually then reinstall, this will work for sure.

LOL I got caught up doing some other stuf and never refreshed ..owell if what he says dont work this should..;)

I'm just curious, but can't he delete his password? like go to start>find>look in C:/ *.pwl and look for msn pw.

Nice suggestions but :

1/ Only avoids msn starting auto with boot but doesn't deal with the fact that a malicious person could activate this and automatically get into my email , no password to stop them . this is how most viruses now spread .

2/ Sounds complicated but good . I may try it .

3/ I couldn't find any *.pwl files , i think ms has them well hidden and encrypted from us non criminals :)

You might want to give this a try Cowboy X...The easiest way that I've found to do this, is just to delete all the passports associated with your XP account (this method causes no loss of data).

Start | Control Panel | User Accounts | Select your account name | On the left side of the screen under "Related Tasks", click "Manage my Network Passwords" | In the window that opens, select all the passport account(s)...the ones marked (Passport), and click the "Remove" button (be sure to delete the Passport.NET entry also) | Then you can re-launch Messenger, and set it up as you like. ;)

:confused: Were you logged in as adminstrator? Ther should always be at least one pw there for the windows login.

But it was just a guess... and it seemed to make sense but I guess with M$ that isn't possible. :)

My sister had the same problem too, but she hasn't updated me on it.

redduc900's suggestion sounds good!

well i would suggest disabling the program but it sounds like he uses it regularly.

if you want to temporarily chop it... simplest and most effective way is to rename the "Messenger" folder in "Program Files" to something other than messenger, ie Messengerisevil. now windows can't find it to start it or auto login or anything. just make sure its not running when you try this little trick. when you want it to run again just rename it back to Messenger.

i've said this several times on this forum, but it seems it hasn't sunk in with anyone. they always go about hacking the registry or some long drawn out way, but this is by far the easiest and really most effective way of doing it.

btw if you just want to run it once out of the blue.. just go into the folder and double click the app and it'll run just fine. close it and it'll never reappear until you let it.

Just got it Betty , I was to d'load that for a while but never got around to it .

BTW what sort of dance is spiderman trying to do there :)

goto
:\WINDOWS\inf\sysoc.inf

in the file find the line,
msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,hide,7

and make it look like this
msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,,7

only remove hide not the commas

now when you go into add remove components, you can uninstall it completely:)

This works with anything else in there that has hide at the end also.

Back