• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LINKING? processors?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BiLLyXkiNG

I asked my friend the other day what system he had running...and he told me that he had 2 486's LINKED together. This isn't a dual processor...how does he do it? He wouldn't tell me! This doesn't make sense to me...

-Billy

He probably had a Beowulf Cluster type thing going. I remember the term from long ago. It has to do with sharing processor load over a network.

[gangsta]Aaaaaawwwwwwwwww yeeeeeah!!![/gangsta]

Damn straight, just got my sixth star.

SkaGoatMaster said:
What is with the stars?? and how do u earn them?

just like theperfectcore said you earn them by posting, also you change your status from new new member, registered, member... , you can check this on the forum policies (the first thread of each section) and that way you will now how much have you "grown" in the forums, but don't go just from the stars, more important than that is to learn a little bit more everyday, somedays I don't post but I still watch other post to see if there something intrersting or new that could be usefull in the future:D
there is the link to the stars rates:
http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/announcement.php?forumid=10

back to the issue at hand, is it possible to link computers in a sort of beowulf fasion. i have only seen this done in large numbers. the smallest beowulf i have seen was 16 nodes. i am also wondering if it is possible to link dissimiler computers. i have a couple P100s a 486sx33 and a cyrix MII pr300 that i could experiment with.

ok i did some research and found that a cluster can be 2 or more and they do not have to be the same. i am going to try to build a small cluster and devote it to folding. anyone who wants to help by sending me free computers is free to do so:D seriously though i will try to get this system up and running as a project.

Tbird man said:
ok i did some research and found that a cluster can be 2 or more and they do not have to be the same. i am going to try to build a small cluster and devote it to folding. anyone who wants to help by sending me free computers is free to do so:D seriously though i will try to get this system up and running as a project.

...right...but how is this done?

For folding it might not be the best idea, because the CPU overhead required to keep the cluster running would just slow down the program.
Maybe if you could link togheter some old slower comptuers (like a p150's) it could turn in WU's on time, but the cost of electricity to power several slower machines doesnt really give much benifit to having a slow cluster.
The only place a bewoulf cluster comes in handy would be in compiling information/animations/pictures, Like bryce5 but that already has a cluster feature built into it.

link on how to do this...I would like to get my "supercomputers" and see how much better they are when doing stuff all together....it would be hot :p

Spec

just do a google search for "How to build a Beowulf Computer" they say dual processors scale better than single beacuse one cpu can handle the network addressing/communication leaveing the other to process. perhaps the folding team could save some money and buy like 4 dual XP 2100 boxes and link them and work with someone with experience writing for parallel systems to custom write a program to fold.

MIT sells 3 different books on beowolf computer, one for general, one for linux, and one for windows. I am just about to order all three, i have like 6 p166 that i want running together, it going to be fun.

SkaGoatMaster said:
What is with the stars?? and how do u earn them?

To get 10 stars instantly (more than postcounts will ever give you):

Want to become a Senior Member? Here is what the moderators and staff look for when appointing Senior Members: (In order of importance)

1. A willingness to help others, particularly when an individual has little personal interest in the topic or problem. As when a Senior helps a beginner with a problem which has been discussed many times in the past.
2. A demonstrated patience and reserve in dealing with disagreeable people.
3. The ability to discuss or disagree in a topic on the basis of REASON rather than personal attacks, which never further knowledge, but can only wound hearts.
4.A reasonable to good back ground in overclocking and cooling combined with a general knowledge of hardware as a whole.
5. Approximately three - four months in our forum. Time to demonstrate a continuing interest in our forum and allow us to determine the presence of the afore mentioned qualities.

Back