• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Calling all windows gurus!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mynihilism

we are having problems at work with an old dos program called TBS. The bad thing is they don't have a windows upgrade for the program yet and we are being forced to move to win 2k or xp.
I need someway of trying to get emm386.exe to load on 2k or xp.

in win2k it doesn't use the config.sys its now config.nt the edited file looks like this.

dos=high,umb
device=%systemroot%\system32\himem.sys
device=%systemroot%\system32\setver.exe frame=d000
REM shell=%SystemRoot%\system32\command.com /E:2048
files=20
buffers=30

i place the emm386.exe file in the root and added this line

DEVICE=%systemroot%\EMM386.EXE FRAME=D000

but that didn't work either.

i'm running out of ideas and options here.

what about doing it of a DOS boot disk ?
out of curiousity have you tried placing a shortcut to the file in the startup folder ?

Last edited:
how would that work?
boot of a 98 bootdisk and then what run it from the command prompt. it might work but our users aren't the brightest crayons in the box if you get my drift.

anyother ideas?

I don't think W2K supports DOS at all. The so called DOS window is just an emulation. The only way you can accomplish what you want is to boot from a DOS disk.

perhaps another way would be to partition the drive and just create a small partition specific to dos and the DOS application which Windows should be able to read and run any DOS application and associated files via a PIF shortcut

thats what i was afraid of!!!!!!!!

chalk up another mark why i'm learning linux. F#$% Microsoft!

what exactly is VMware?

dual booting won't work. i mean it would but it won't for user simplicity.

VMware = virtual machine ware. It allows you to install an OS inside your current OS as a guest. In fact a Virtual Machine.

mynihilism said:
in win2k it doesn't use the config.sys its now config.nt

Try this... http://www.drd.dyndns.org/index2.html

"MSConfig for Windows 2000
You've known and loved msconfig in Windows 98, now you can have it in Windows 2000! MSConfig lets you configure which programs run on startup and login. Please note: This program is actually taken from Windows XP -- but it works great with Windows 2000."

mynihilism said:
thanks man, i'll give that a try and see if it will work!

You're most welcome. Let us know how it works as I've downloaded it for future use when I get w2K.

Back