• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will Barton XP work in SMP?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

technogeeky

Registered
Who thinks it will work in an SMP configuration?

In the same manner that you can recombine the bridge on the Athlon XP to make it, effectively, an Athlon MP chip. The Barton MP's aren't due out till next year. But who thinks we will be able to fix the bridge on the Barton XP's to get it to work in SMP?

I hope so! :)

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS

And I don't think anybody can say yet. This kind of thing is vaporware as it is right now. I'll wait and see.

I can't see why not. It maybe be a different bridge combination. Wether it will be stable or not is another thing, but it should at least post.

Common sense would dictate that AMD uses the same sort of setup that XP now has ie core with external briges. That way they wolud just be able to drop a new core onto the old package and get it out ASAP. Thats what they've done in all previous "new" cores and Barton's just another core in the Athlon line. Chances are pretty good that if this happens we'll be able to unlock them.

i would think it's very possible too. however, there's one thing for we current gen. dual mobo owner tho!! 'cos soon XP will be up at 166FSB and i'm sure Barton will be the same. now the problem is, there's NO duallie board right now that could support or run at 166FSB!!! :rolleyes:

i myself been thinking upgrade my duallies to 166FSB XP too, but guess i "might" max. out right at the last 133FSB chip now.....

Last edited:
In Leiu of this uncertianty and the fact that I have a Radeon 9700 Pro, I have purchased a Intel 2.26a -> 3.0Ghz system which I will be building Friday.

-Drew

What, does the Radeon not like AMD? (I haven't really read much about it; too much fanboy crap out there.)

I seem to recall that AMD has made each sub-generation of chips harder and harder to run out of spec. I think they could disable that functionality; prevent you from doing a simple bridging job to get MP.

On the other hand, who else makes MP chipsets? Only one I know of is the AMD 762 series, and as already stated, that's stuck at /4 divisor. Wouldn't wanna put a 166 chip in there cuz it'll use the lower multiplier and you won't go as fast as you paid to.

Would be really nice if they'd update their chipsets a little better. I'd learn how to desolder/solder SMT if I could pop in a new NB and expect it to work on this thing. I long for the days of socket-mounting important chips.

Back