• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows XP setup failed = comp messed up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MrOOBiLL

So I was formatting my C: partition using windows XP pro setup, and it was taking a LONG time, so i went to bed, i then woke up to a screen telling me that a file couldnt be coppied to my harddrive, i skiped it, then it happened with every file so i quit the installation.
Now, the computer doesnt recognize that i have a hard drive, and the XP CDROM will boot, so should i try to recover the hard-drive?. Please help me out here.

*edit* I just tried to reformat the drive again (using XP setup's "quick format") and its been stuck at 20% for 10min. Last night, it was stuck at 5% for almost 2hours.... that was on the longer format option.

Last edited:
Best bet honestly would be to get or use (if you already have) a Win98SE boot disk. If you don't have one, take a blank floppy to wherever you're accessing the net from and go to www.bootdisk.com and make one. Boot your system with that and use fdisk to format the drive then try installing XP again.

Now, if by 'the computer doesn't recognize the drive' you mean that it doesn't even show up in the BIOS, then you need to turn off and unplug your rig, crack open your case, find the 'clear CMOS' jumper on your MOBO, shift it for a moment or two then put it back, (II)I=>I(II)=>(II)I, close everything back up, fire up your system and the Bios should again recognize the drive.:cool:

Thanks DreamingWolf, right now its just been formatted using the quick format on XP setup, and setup is coping (SP?) files to the HD, i guess that means its not totally screwed.. Im gonna try the win98 boot disk if this doesnt work. Going to school now, so ill just hope for the best while im gone *fingers crossed*

Well, XP installation was about 5 minutes from complete when i got a BSOD!!!!! "KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR"
Well, at this point im quite sure that there is something wrong with the harddrive, maybe a physical error...

I then retried the installation, and, guess what? it worked. :D
Anyway this isnt the first time ive had major HD troubles, would a low level format possibly solve this? If so, what utilities can do a LLF? (the computer is a.... *shudder* Dell, and they are very secretive about the manufacturers of their HDs... so it would be best to get a universal LLF util.) And i dont think there is an option for it in the BIOS.

Back