• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do I change my program install target drive?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hendonblue

Registered
Hey,

I have my HDD partitioned with XP on a 7 gig, Programs on 20 gig, and the last partition storage.

I am wondering how to change my D: drive to the default drive for installing programs. Whenever I install them now, I have to change the drive letter from C: to D:.

Thanks...

you can't change them to always say D... all programs will default to the C: drive

you must change them manually...

Only updates that search for the instaleld program folder will automaticly install somewhere other then C:

System properties>advanced tab>environment variables button

Log on as administrator in XP and you should be able to set system wide variables. Default ones shown will be TEMP TMP and you can add others. Try adding Programs and the new path then install something to see if it works? I have not done this but am curious. Try it as a system wide variable first and if that don't work then try for the specific user.

I unintenionally added another partition to my HD yesterday after my first XP install failed. So, I have this tiny like 8mb C: drive and a big honking D: Anyway, after I told the first thing I installed to use the D instead of the C, everything after that defaulted to the D. Odd that yours doesn't. You can rename drive letters with msconfig I believe.

Back