• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this legal?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ThePerfectCore

Red Raccoon Dojo
Ok, I was working on one of my systems last night, and put together this possible scenario in my head:

Let's say someone brings over their machine, and wants it reformatted. Only problem is, it's a (insert crappy computer manufacturer here), and the EU has lost the restore disc (not that I'd use it anyway). They don't have an OS disc, either.

What they *do* have, however, is an OS registration key stuck on the side of the case.

My question is this-

Is it legal to download the ISO of an OS disc, and use their registration key to reinstall their OS? I wouldn't use the OS personally, since I wouldn't have a key for it. It'd only sit on the shelf until someone else with a key needed help.

Yes/no? I think yes, it's fine, since the software is useless to me, due to the fact that I don't have a key. The EU, however, does, and can now go about their computer business.

well the 'right' thing to do would be to phone up the manufacturer tell them your cd key and ask for another cd of the OS and also the other disk. If the ISO is the complete clone of the original and not cracked then it *may* be legal to download it and use your cd key, since you actually have a license for the product but just lost the cd.

well i would dl and burn it, but i dont care whether its illeagal or not. if you care enough dont take chances and call the manufacturer.

way i see it is if you legaly have or had a copy of the os and still have the paperwork and key, then its ok to DL it.

It all depends on who's OS you're talking about. If you only burn/install one copy under that key for that key owner, it's ethical. But if it's M$, it might not be legal.

AltecXP said:
way i see it is if you legaly have or had a copy of the os and still have the paperwork and key, then its ok to DL it.

I would do the same thing. You bought it, so you can or should be able to d/l a "backup" of what you used to have. Of course it illegal, but still it should not be if you have proof.

Get Microsoft on the phone or an email and request a new disk..OR get the manufacture of that PC to help you ...

Any ISO is an illegal copy no matter if you have a KEY for that O/S so try the right way besides doing it that way and telling us here if Microsoft or the PC maker helped would benfit many more people that may have this same issue...

It is illegal to download an iso of any Microsoft os without Microsoft's explicict permission (beta's etc. from them.)
Any other source is not legal.

You can get a new restore/os disk by contacting the manufacturer as long as the pc was registered and is legit.

It IS possible to get multiple licenses for the same installation media from Microsoft for a fee- note that the cost is only slightly reduced for this.

Use of any cracked software is illegal under any circumstances, period.

my ofice 2k disk was scrached so i got a copy off a mate i dont care wether its legal in futeure i intend to back up a each disk i buy it realy bugs me when i find a disk i cant copy

Back