• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Using Windows XP icons in 98?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Superman

I've been using XP for a while now and, I've decided that I don't like it and I want to use 98 (thats what I was using before I upgraded) what I was wondering is there anyway to use the icons from Windows XP on 98 I know that the icons are on the shell32.dll file in XP, and I tried copying that file on other machine that has 98 and the XP verision of shell.dll didn't work, so is there any way to get those icon files to work on 98 or not.

Hmmm, you could take screenshots, and convert the relevant parts to .ico files. These are essentially .bmp files with prescribed dimensions and 256 colours. You'd have to check a .ico file in Paint Shop or soimething like it to see what dimensions it has. Then you could edit the properties of each shortcut to alter it's icon. It is a bit cumbersome, but if you really want it....

Back