• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

More problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stagger

Registered
Ok, anyone who's read that other thread of mine, huge problem, knows where I stand. Well, now I've switched the cards so the video card has it's own IRQ, but that didn't help.

I think it may be a problem with the hard drive. I formatted in dos and it said there was some data taken up even after the format. I've tried a program put out by maxtor to format but it had an error when it was going to format and since then I can't boot up.

If I boot from the cd drive (winxp installation cd) it goes to "Windows is inspecting your hardware configuration" but then it goes blank and stops instead of going to installation options. I then have to restart. If I boot from the hard drive, it says "NTDLR is missing", and winxp is the only OS ever installed on this comp. I'm on my old comp now.

So, problem with hard drive? I know there's some data that stayed on even after I formatted. Also, someone mentioned in my last thread that page faults are caused by faulty memory. Could there be a problem with my RAM also? It's pc2700 512 mb samsung :mad:

Problem with the hard drive? 80 gig maxtor silent :mad:

Any advice would be helpful.

ThePerfectCore said:
FDISK that sucker. Make new partitions. Then try to format. Yay!

Ok, how do I do that? People say format in fdisk. I don't know how the hell to fdisk.

Lusankya said:
at a dos prompt

C: fdisk c:

then do the onscreen menus.. nuke ALL partitions.
then make new ones
exit fdisk
format again

But what do I boot from? I can't boot from a cd-rom and I can't boot from a hard drive. What floppy?

Stagger said:

I think it may be a problem with the hard drive. I've tried a program put out by maxtor to format but it had an error when it was going to format and since then I can't boot up.

Also, someone mentioned in my last thread that page faults are caused by faulty memory. Could there be a problem with my RAM also? It's pc2700 512 mb samsung :mad:

Problem with the hard drive? 80 gig maxtor silent :mad:

Any advice would be helpful.

If the Maxblast software is having problems with a Maxtor Drive, then there may be a problem with the drive itself.

Yes, page faults can indicate a memory problem, BUT, it sounds like this may be a virtual memory problem (page file created on HD).

Run the MAXblast software again, but run a diagnostic on the drive, you may have to return it for warranty repair.

Re: Re: More problems

Maximouse said:

If the Maxblast software is having problems with a Maxtor Drive, then there may be a problem with the drive itself.

Yes, page faults can indicate a memory problem, BUT, it sounds like this may be a virtual memory problem (page file created on HD).

Run the MAXblast software again, but run a diagnostic on the drive, you may have to return it for warranty repair.

I formatted in fdisk and then the winxp install disc worked. I'm now reformatting from the xp disc with an NTFS system. If I can install xp fine and I get no more errors like the ones I had before, everything should be fine.

Back