Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

READ READ There are much better stuff for heatsinks than copper!!

I was just wondering for all you true DIY ppl out there try making a waterblock out of graphite heres why.

here is chart of all the thermal conductivities:
    http://hypertextbook.com/physics/the...on/index.shtml

aluminum is 237
    copper is 401 (hence better cooler)
    silver is 429
    diamond is 895!
    but whats insanely awesome is
    graphite (parallel) at 1950..the only problem is its a non-metal....
    it is hard though...

I think it would make an awesome awesome water block if the water cool cool that graphite fast enough...it would never work in a ir cause no fan coud cool a heatsink thats pulls away heat so fast....
    what do you guys think about this though?

someone pull apart a disk break or drum break and get the shoes and try those :P

Asus G1Sn-B1 7/18/2008- ??
    Intel Core 2 Duo Penryn T9300 2.5GHz 6MB 800FSB/4GB DDR2/nVidia GeForce 9500M GS 512MB/15.4” WSXGA+ 1680X1050 (Wet)/320GB/Blue-Ray Disk/DVD-RW

Deceased:Sager NP9860 11/24/2004 - 7/9/2008.. R.I.P
    Intel 3.4GHZ P4 LGA775, 800FSB/3GB 533DDR2/256MB PCI-Express NVIDIA GeForce GO 6800/60GB/17" WSXGA+ 1680 X 1050/8X DL DVD-R

Underwater Senior Member
    Yeah, but isn't parallel graphite non-waterproof?, almost a felt like material? Adding the binding resin will kill the conductivity numbers.

One more problem, alot of heat conductivity tests were based on electrical conductivity...I doubt most charts I come across since the CuSil debacle.

There is poco foam, a graphite foam with killer surface area. Alas, it too isn't waterproof.

If you find out more about this stuff, pass it on!

Re: READ READ There are much better stuff for heatsinks than copper!!

Originally posted by dxiw
    but whats insanely awesome is
    graphite (parallel) at 1950..the only problem is its a non-metal....
    it is hard though...
    However:

graphite (perpendicular) 5.7

I suspect it is not easy to find a large chunk of graphite with the crystalline structure oriented in the same direction throughout the chunk. I don't think it all that hard either. Pencil leads are made of graphite combined with clay to make them harder. I'd guess your waterblock might get eroded away by water flowing through it. And they say higher flow is always better

Me personally, I'd settle for a diamond big enough to build a waterblock out of.

Registered
    Graphite is an anisotropic form of copper, meaning its properties vary directionally. Note that in the parallel direction graphite is a great thermal conductor, and in the perp. direction it is basically an insulator. The same is true for hardness, in one direction it can withstand high stress but in the other very little shear force.
    I am not sure, but I think the strength and conductivity directions are different (check me someone). In other words, if that is true, the direction of high stress strength is a thermal insulator.

Diamond is the isotropic form of carbon (same properties in all directions) which is why it is both hard and thermally conductive regardless of orientation.

how about industrial grade diamonds?

Originally posted by Jkasmann
    Graphite is an anisotropic form of copper

Graphite is a form of carbon.

Hmmm. I was hoping to gain some enlightenment in this thread, but instead have decided to stick with my Maze2.

i dont understand why we dont see nickel plated stuff

nickel is one awsome heat releacer and or absorber

should be sinks of copper coated with nickel

think what a SK800 would do if it was nickel plated
    " The Air Cooling Master "

i got a better idea guys, someone just build one out of a huge diamond. or how about helium 2? ~100,000 it says on teh site lol.

Originally posted by AZZKICKER

er...

we do, i cant think of any examles here (i think there ware some ram sinks) but it works on the same idea as silver or tin plating - it is mearly to fill in the gaps on the base then help thermal conductivity.

didn't some heatsink manufacturer have a early tech. sample of graphite hs sometime during last spring.. i remember seeing some stuff of it. too busy to search the archives..

Originally posted by seal
    i got a better idea guys, someone just build one out of a huge diamond.
    Get yourself a Diamond studded AX7

They probably sell them in some computer shop in Beverly Hills

it woudl be sweet to jsut have a diamon in side your wb that onyl thouches the core adn then goes in the the water compartment, but i dont think that the water coudl get ath much from it...
    .................................................. ......................Just too busy with life
    ...........................................Team.32.Mentor........................................RED.BELT.Ubercloxx0r
    ..............................You.should.always.keep.an.open.mind.help.can.be.found.in.the.most.unlikly.places.
    .....AIUHB0252@2300mhz.SP-97~Abit.NF7-S~512.RAM@fast.timings~9700Pro.w/.copper.HSF.~.2.monitors
    .................................................. ..Windows XP because I have conditions
    ....Fold.for.[OC]FoldingNinjas!!!....You .would.be.amazed.at.what.a.group.of.intelegent.peo ple.can.overlook
    ...............................................All.blanket.statments.are.false|Nothing.is.absoloute.
    ............................Don't.Let.ThermalTake.Your.Money~|~Are.You.Into.Th at.Hacky.Stuff?
    AKA:supaiku
    .................................................. ........Can.you.find.the.ninja.in.my.avatar?!?!

Moderator/ Silver Paste Taster© Silversinksam's Avatar
    Originally posted by AZZKICKER

I think you got confused, Nickel and Tin are terrible thermal conduits. Besides plating is useless, even if its Silver plated. For heatsinks that have poorly soldered fins to the base, Silver plating can help a great deal as it makes a better bonding to the fins and the base.

Thermal Properties of Materials
    Thermal Conductivity, W/cm-K
    Metals
    Aluminum 2.165
    Beryllium 1.772
    Beryllium-copper 1.063
    Brass 70% copper, 30% zinc 1.220
    Copper 3.937
    Gold 2.913
    Iron .669
    Lead .343
    Magnesium 1.575
    Molybdenum 1.299
    Monel .197
    Nickel .906
    Platinum .734
    Silver 4.173
    Stainless Steel-321 .146
    Stainless Steel-410 .240
    Steel, low carbon .669
    Tin .630
    Titanium .157
    Tungsten 1.969
    Zinc 1.024
    -15 May 2012: On Hiatus helping bees and the planet at the moment

-You have over 101 signatures and Can't see the classifieds??? Click this link.

My Heatware

Does anybody make a solid silver HS ?

Originally posted by 6502kid
    I have seen a solid silver waterclock, was a sprial block....
    but its not worth the money for the little gain over copper, and a big hole in your pocket book.

Originally posted by 6502kid
    Back in the day I got a NoiseControl Silverado afer Tom declared it the king of HSF's in 3 straight shootouts (I think it was 3) ... this was when I had a P3/866 which at the time was among the better chips you could buy.

Anyway the thing's base had a chunk of solid silver that weighed... I want to say 500g, don't hold me to that, but it was massive.

It was a great HSF then but I doubt it could do much for today's AMD chips.

i actualyl belivce silversinkssam has made soem or mad e silver hybrid sink, or was that some1 else sam?
    .................................................. ......................Just too busy with life
    ...........................................Team.32.Mentor........................................RED.BELT.Ubercloxx0r
    ..............................You.should.always.keep.an.open.mind.help.can.be.found.in.the.most.unlikly.places.
    .....AIUHB0252@2300mhz.SP-97~Abit.NF7-S~512.RAM@fast.timings~9700Pro.w/.copper.HSF.~.2.monitors
    .................................................. ..Windows XP because I have conditions
    ....Fold.for.[OC]FoldingNinjas!!!....You .would.be.amazed.at.what.a.group.of.intelegent.peo ple.can.overlook
    ...............................................All.blanket.statments.are.false|Nothing.is.absoloute.
    ............................Don't.Let.ThermalTake.Your.Money~|~Are.You.Into.Th at.Hacky.Stuff?
    AKA:supaiku
    .................................................. ........Can.you.find.the.ninja.in.my.avatar?!?!

interesting...
    i wonder how good a glass waterblock would be

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast