• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quick question: ALPHA PEP66t...suck or blow?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Unless Alpha has revised the way they print their instruction sheets, you need a magnifying glass to see which way the arrow that signifies the direction of airflow points. If the PEP-66 is mounted in its original configuration on a Slocket, the fan should draw air up through the HS.

I went back to my ALPHA instruction sheet and peered intently at it for a full 10 seconds. Yep, the little airflow arrow is definitely pointing up (away from the HS) so I'm assuming suck.

Thanks guys! :)

O.K. guys. So if the pep66 fan sucks air away from the hs, what about the chorb? I'm still stuck with it for now so has anyone tried to reverse the fan on the chorbs?

Suck and blow :) is the way to go, with 2 fans. If you're using it on a slotket, I wouldn't know how to put them... I have rotated my shroud 90 degrees and the sucking fan 45 degrees. Works dang well.

jughead (Apr 17, 2001 06:49 a.m.):
O.K. guys. So if the pep66 fan sucks air away from the hs, what about the chorb? I'm still stuck with it for now so has anyone tried to reverse the fan on the chorbs?

You don't want to reverse the fan direction on the chrome orb. As is it sucks air from the top and blows it more outward than anywhere else. Reversing it would give the air nowhere to go....right?

Door Knob (Apr 23, 2001 09:55 p.m.):
jughead (Apr 17, 2001 06:49 a.m.):

You don't want to reverse the fan direction on the chrome orb. As is it sucks air from the top and blows it more outward than anywhere else. Reversing it would give the air nowhere to go....right?

I think it would suck the air from AROUND the 'orb' and push it "upwards". If I hadn't given my Pentium2 w/ORB to my little bro, I could test that. I could test that today actually, but I'm moving away from home tomorrow, so I don't have time to do that.

It suppose to Suck! Try mounting another fan on the bottom side to push air through the sink. I had two Y/S 26cfm fans on mine than the Delta's 38mm.

Pat

the pep66 sucks :p
suck suck suckitty suck suck suck

especially if yer using a slotket, no sense in blowing hot air on the motherboard is there?

I would like to share my personal experience from PFH6035MUC,PAL6035MUC & PEP66U is that it matters from the temperature in the environment. If you are staying in cool country below 20degrees, blow is better as it blows cool air into the heatsink. Whereas if in Singapore at 31 degrees + 5 degrees from poor ventilation of casing which means having 35-36degrees of hot air blow into the CPU therefore SUCK when you are hot and BLOW when you are cool understand. LICK when both does not work HA! HA!

Ask yourself this...
When its hot during the summer...
Would you rather be sucked on or blowed on? (to cool you down that is)

Note: Somebody else answered this type of question like this but I dont know who or where I saw it.

To avoid burns on the tongue apply some poor thermal grease/tape and for the summer do not blow HOT air into the heatsink as it will burn HOT air down.

Back