• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cuttin my plexiglass

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Slogan

well, as soon as i get pics i will post them.. but until then ill jsut tell you... the whole side of my case is plexiglass, and i jsut recieved my new thermaltake2 smart case 2 fan (which is a real frickin nice fan) and its an 80mm fan... my prob is, i gotta drill a hole in my plexiglass... i want to use a circle (hole) cutter to get a nice job done, but will this crack my plexiglass??? are there anyways i can cut this hole without cracking my plexiglass??? if so plz help....thnx

It wont crack it if:
1. You go SLOW
2. You drill a little, stop- remove the bit- let it cool
3. GO SLOW!

I dunno how much this would help seeing as i have yet to do this but maybe clamping it to a piece of 3/4 plywood .. or thicker.. "be sure to put a towel between the clamp and the plexi as it will scratch" and it might help some im not real sure but it couldnt hurt.

oh man i cracked acrylic so many times with a holesaw, then i became smart and used a dremel, with my stedy hand i made a nice hole.

I always use a high quality holesaw, and run water over the surface whilst drilling. That way the temperature remains low, and reduces melting/cracking, and results in a very clean, easy cut :)

is it heat that makes it crack i always thoguth it was the pressure or soemthing?

crash893 said:
is it heat that makes it crack i always thoguth it was the pressure or soemthing?

well, i use the water to stop it melting, also as a lubricant of sorts*..However, i expect cracking is from pushing too hard, using a poor/wrong holesaw, and or using a low RPM drill..

Basically, if u have the correct tools it will work like a dream :)

*running water over the drilling helps remove the cut material out of the way, and allows more efficient drilling :p

Tape up the area so you don't slip the bit across the plastic. DO NOT stop the drill while it is in the plastic.. you'll break something trying to get it out again.. the plastic will melt into the bit and make it almost 1 solid peice.

Lusankya said:
Tape up the area so you don't slip the bit across the plastic. DO NOT stop the drill while it is in the plastic.. you'll break something trying to get it out again.. the plastic will melt into the bit and make it almost 1 solid peice.

running water stops this :)

o0OBruceLeeO0o said:
I read somewhere to put a peice of wood under it too, that it helps prevent cracking?

Backing it up with something, is to help keep you from acctually busting through the plexi ( i have done this more than once my self :rolleyes: ) they do the same thing working with wood as well, back it with a pice of scrap wood, so the bottom piece of wood helps to keep the bit from pushing it's way through the first one, and rather drills/cuts it's way trough.

Like has been said over and over all ready, patience young jedi ;)

Dan

Back