• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pentium III Question... Please help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

exhaust18

Registered
I have a Pentium III 866mhz (133mhz FSB) on a Giga-Byte GA-6VTXE-A. Can I use pc100 sdram with a FSB of 133mhz? Or do I have to get pc133 sdram? Thanks in advance.

For best results you will probably need to get PC133. You could always try it with the PC100 and see if it will boot, then run some benchmarks to see if it is stable.

My problem is that it will not boot with the pc100 memory. Have not tried pc133 yet. What else should I know?

You could try setting the FSB to 100, that will boot the CPU at 650 Mhz (6.5 x 100), then you should be able to use your PC100 memory.

I will try the 100mhz fsb thing in a minute but whenever I turn the power on with 133mhz fsb, There is disk activity and the power supply runs and everything but nothing on the screen.

My motherboard has a very weird way of changing the fsb and cpu speed. On my soyo 6ba+iii, whenever I got no boot from overclocking too high, I could hold insert and turn the computer back on and it would automatically clear the bios. Is there any way I can do that on this motherboard with me not being able to boot?

that cpu should run fine on pc100.

I using the same cpu with a 128MB pc133 and a 64MB pc100 right now.
i would try lowering the RAM speed if your bios has that option

Try setting your ram latency to 3-3-3. The lower the cas the more responsive and more bandwidth however, the higher means more stable.

exhaust18 said:
I have a Pentium III 866mhz (133mhz FSB) on a Giga-Byte GA-6VTXE-A. Can I use pc100 sdram with a FSB of 133mhz? Or do I have to get pc133 sdram? Thanks in advance.

Being a Via 694 based board, you can easily run the ram at 100MHz (or even 66) if you wish. I don't recall the wording in that bios, but either set the ram speed for 100MHz or HCLK-33 to achieve a safe ram speed. I believe you have to use the cmos clear jumper on those boards to erase failed attempts.

Just to check -- you're able to get into your BIOS, right? It at least posts, but never makes it to the OS loading, or perhaps not to the end of the RAM check?

If you can at least see the very initial check, you can hold down (usually) F1 immediately to enter the BIOS and bypass the RAM check. (Look in your mobo manual to determine the correct key.) After that, proceed as above.

-- Paul

Back