• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking K7S5A... wheres the site?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MoonWolf

Fold For 32!
I just got my new HDD... forgot to get my favorites from other one, and now I cannot find the site with the instructions on how to flash the K7S5A Bios for OCing. My AX-7 Will be here in a few days and I would like to get the Bios flashed BEFORE it arrives.

Another thing... is there a new version of CheepBios for this mobo? The one I have is "Chb0429l" with "aminf332"

Would it be safer to put these files on CD for reliability when flashing? If you have a few Errors in Windows, will it in any way affect your flash?

How do I lap the AX-7 with AS3?

Thanks,
-Wesley

Try the AMD motherboard section. there is an ECS section where a K7S5A FAQ can be found. All your answers should be in it. Good Luck:D

You do not lap the AX7 with AS3. lapping is totally different that installing a heatsink. here are the INSTRUCTIONS for AS3. Lapping is where you take sandpaper and a flat surface and you lap the heatsink to get rid of slight imperfections or to clean a melted thermal pad from the heatsink. More info can be found on it by doing a search on the forums.

Will I be okay using the CheepBios version and AMI flash utility shown above? These were given to me by Lochreas about 2 months ago. Or should I get the new versions and AMINF229?

Here is the Readme of the CHeepBios I have...

CheepoBios 1.01 for K7S5A
Based on ECS 020429

chb0429.rom non-lan Version
chb0429l.rom lan version
chb0429f.rom lan version with fastwrites enabled (disable lan in bios Setup to use it on a non-lan board)

Release notes:

- Adjust timing for stability and compatibility ;)

- FSB modes reprogrammed:

"100/100 MHz" changed from 99.6 to 100.9 MHz
"133/133 MHz" changed from 132.77 to 133.9 MHz
No more underclocking by default!

- Several FSB modes added. New list of available modes:

100/100 MHz
100/133 MHz
133/133 MHz -> Default modes

66/66 MHz (H/W Trap)
112/112 MHz
124/124 MHz
138/138 MHz
150/150 MHz
166/166 MHz -> Already present in the "OC" bios

110/110 MHz * (replaces 107/107 from the previous cheepobios)
133/100 MHz
143/143 MHz
147/147 MHz
133/166 MHz
160/120 MHz
200/200 MHz

Please note that the "166 MHz no-boot issue" hasn't been dealt with
in this bios modification. It seems that bios timings need to be adjusted to allow
booting at such speed. This issue could also affect 160/120 and 200/200
settings.

- Extra memory settings:
- RAS Precharge Time=2T
- RAS Active Time=4T, 5T

- Full screen logo can be enabled/disabled via bios menu

- A few hidden bios options have been enabled with amibcp. Please notice that none of these settings have been fixed or reprogrammed at all.

- PCI Latency Timer
- PCI IDE busmaster
- PCI slot #1 to #4 IRQ priority
- IO APIC

The default values for these settings, as well as all other settings, remain the same as in the original bios.

I wish to thank Jinxter, tw.p, Bench400 and Beheerder: deblokker mij, fellow bios modders
at www.ocworkbench.com/ecs for their useful ideas, discussion and testing

Cheepoman 21 May 2002

***Will this be okay?***

Last edited:
read this.
that is the FAQ. yes that bios should be fine but I really suggest you read the FAQ and post in the correct area. It helps the mods and you will get better answers. good luck!

Thanks. One more thing. I'm running Windows XP, but I have a good WinME startup disk. Can I use this to get into DOS for FLASHING, or do i need some way to startup in DOS without using ANY resources?

Thanks for your help. I'll post to tell how things worked out with my oc and all.

-Wesley

Back