• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is better, mem speed or mem amt

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

oc jason

I have the cash to get a new video card to replace my GF2 Pro 64 and am looking at GF4 ti4200's (since a 4600 is just overclocked 4200) but I am not sure what ot get. I play CS and Unreal 2k3 and I want to run games at a HIGH detail level , full MipMap, 4xAA at 1024 res. I see alot of the cards have either 64mb or 128mb, but they are different mem clock speeds. 64bm of 512mz mem or 128mb of 444 mz mem, I dunno what to get, faster mem or more of it.

Opinions Please, and whys adn why nots and if a 4200 is good enough for games to come and UT2k3 @ high settings using that res.

TYIA

They kinda go hand in hand, the more memory you have, the longer it would take to search it.

I would go for the one with the more memory (even though there isn't much out right now that would use it).

well you can overclock the memory, it would be kinda hard to add more of it though. you just need to buy the right card from the right company so you get some low ns ram etc. then you can have your cake and eat it too. or something.

The games that are out now will benefit more from faster memory. Games like Doom3 and other new games will run better on the cards with more memory. Also the 4600 is not just an overclocked 4200, it is made with better components, it has faster ram and it is assumed that the better gpu's get put into the more expensive cards. I would say that a 4200 will be good for a while to come still but if you want to play the newer games I would go with the 128MB card. My plan is to hold onto my radeon 8500 for a little while and see if the NV30 owns the 9700 and if not hopefully it will drop the price of the 9700 down some at least.

current games, future games: this is just a poor simplified version of that on the article actually.
some games demand more of cpu/gpu work, some will benefit from the greater amount of ram to perform the larger textures storage.

future games will sure demand more room from memory, but current games do also.
as for the memory bandwidth, the higher the better no matter the amount of ram, of course. but as the tests in the article prove, 128MB versions will already perform noticeable faster under high quality rendering.

Last edited:
Back