• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

intel or sis chipsets

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kalyan

Registered
hi,

which chipset is better when it comes to performance.
i have an option of ASUS P4-B533 and ASUS P4-S533 to go along with my intel P42.4B processor.

If intel is better, where does SIS lose out ?

thanks.

kalyan said:
hi,

which chipset is better when it comes to performance.
i have an option of ASUS P4-B533 and ASUS P4-S533 to go along with my intel P42.4B processor.

If intel is better, where does SIS lose out ?

thanks.

The P4S533 loses out in only one area when compared against the P4B533. That being maximum fsb. The SiS645DX chipset of the "S" board only goes to 166MHz, and rarely exceeds 150fsb by much. The 845e equipped "B" board has proven to be very stable as high as 175MHz fsb. At 150fsb your 2.4b will be running at 2700MHz. You can use the SiS's 4:5 cpu:memory multiplier to run the ram at 187.5. This setup is fast. If you wish to run more than 2.7GHz with the 2.4b, the higher fsb capability of the P4B533 is very nice though.

This SiS has proven to be a very slight amount quicker at the same clock rate as the 845e, mainly on graphical tasks. Both are very good chipsets. The SiS supports 4:5 and 4:6 cpu:memory multipliers, allowing you to run the ram at 187.5 or 225 in conjunction with a 150fsb. The 845e supports 3:4, producing 200MHz at 150 fsb. Very good ram like the Corsair XMS PC3200 cas2 stuff is good enough to operate at 187.5 or 200, but might not make it all the way to 225. If the ram quality is good enough to utilize the SiS's 4:6 mulitplier, the SiS speed advantage grows a bit.

thanks larva,
i have these components
P4 2.4B ghz processor
256 MB ddr ram (PC-2100 i will try to upgrade to PC-2700)
ASUS ge-force 3 T2
80GB seagate barracuda ATA IV HDD
4.3 seagate HDD(slave fitted only for back-up)
cd-rom
hp CD-Writer

BTW i am getting these mobo
ASUS P4B533-VM, P4S533-VM,
MSI 845e max-L.
Gigabyte GA-8IGX (with intel 845G chipset and AGP 4X slot).

thanks

this is an article that you might think is helpful for you to decide: Pentium 4 on the 533MHz Bus and Intel, SiS, VIA Chipsets.

now, only one more thing i think is worth mentioning - this is my opinion: Intel has a great support for their products, specially for chipset software. everything is pretty much organized at their website and they use to release new improved version to them pretty often, contrary to the SIS software support for their products.
you can take a look at the SIS webpage for the chipset drivers and stuff. it doesnt even seem to be of such a great company as SIS is..

Back