• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with win2k and autostart..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KingK@zor

Registered
In xp and win98 you can use msconfig to stop autostart-programs to start every time windows start..But it doesnt work in win2k..Is there any similiar way in win2k to prevent the computer from starting all those autostart-programs?

MSconfig is great- but why not try something a bit more powerful?

Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel 2.7

No more mucking about at the 'Run....' prompt- decide what runs, and when, right from your control panel. I've been using this thing for years- I cannot live without it. I had to make a new copy of my W2K disk that included this utility- it's THAT useful. Plus it looks and feels like it's an original part of Windows. Only 66Kb, too! :D

Last edited:
anyway this is the key for the startup programs in W2k: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

oTTO identified the correct key.

To get at your start programs in the registry:

1. Click "Start" and choose "Run." In the "Open" command line, type REGEDIT and press [enter]

2. CLick on the plus (+) sign next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

3. CLick on the plus (+) sign next to SOFTWARE

4. CLick on the plus (+) sign next to Microsoft

5. CLick on the plus (+) sign next to Windows

6. Click on the plus (+) signnext to CurrentVersion

7. Click on the RUN folder, the contents will be displayed on the right side of the Registry

8. You probably will want to create a back up of the RUn folder by clicking on "Registry" then "Export Registry File" This will create a .REG file which can be easily merged back into the registry by double-clicking on it at any time (from explorer)

After YOU BACK UP YOUR REGISTRY then delete the programs you don't want to run at start up. If you later want something back, you can just load your registry back up and delete stuff again.

Back