Change direction of fans?

Is there a way to change the direction of my case fans to have them blowing air out instead of sucking in and vice versa?

take them out and turn them round and re-fit them???, could try switching the wires (it dc so fan would spin the other way) dont know if this is good for the fans tho

Be easier to just take them out and turn them around.

Hi,

Yeah, just turn them around...
    If you look real close, most fans have two arrows imprinted on them. One will point to what way the airflow is directed, and one to which way the blades move. Most fans I have seen blow air out towards the side with the sticker, and protective covering.

Hope that helps a bit,

NismoGTR

If you think about it, I'm sure you can figure it out. The reason it is sucking in is because it is making air flow from the outside to the inside. Since a fan can logically only spin one way, then by flipping the fan around, wouldn't it now be making air flow from the insdie to the outside of the case?

So I guess what I'm trying to say is, just flip the fan around dude.

Senior Aircraftsman IRL RedDeathDrinker's Avatar
    I'll just add my voice to the "Flip the fan around" brigade......

It's worth experimenting with the fans both ways, to see what works best.....
    We are stuck with technology when what we really want is just stuff that works.
    How do you recognise something that is still technology?
    A good clue is if it comes with a manual...

Originally posted by lazerin
    If you think about it, I'm sure you can figure it out. The reason it is sucking in is because it is making air flow from the outside to the inside. Since a fan can logically only spin one way, then by flipping the fan around, wouldn't it now be making air flow from the insdie to the outside of the case?

So I guess what I'm trying to say is, just flip the fan around dude.
    I realize that. I was just wondering if there was a way to do it without actually opening it up and flipping the fan around. Like, something with qfan or whatever. Anyway, thanks.

fan blades aren't flat. They are only curved for air flow in one direction. Changing the polarity and running it that way would be the mark of a total ******.

Originally posted by safemode
    fan blades aren't flat. They are only curved for air flow in one direction. Changing the polarity and running it that way would be the mark of a total ******.
    Now, now play nice with the other hacker geeks

Actually I had a PCI slot fan and I played around with the wiring trying to get it to spin in the opposite direction, then I realized you have 1Power line and 1Ground, switching them just leaves you with useless mass taking up space in your case. You would need to dissassemble the fan itself and reverse the wiring array that is activated by the current from the wire in order to get it to spin in the opposite direction. Some silly little electro-magnetic laws of physics or some such
    Respect always the pathways that others follow in their spiritual journey. --DWolf
    Patience is the willingness to review and revise your expectations. --DWolf (At least I don't think I've ever seen it elsewhere)
    "Science has sometimes been said to be opposed to faith, and inconsistent with it. But all science, in fact, rests on a basis of faith, for it assumes the permanence and uniformity of natural laws - a thing which can never be demonstrated." --Tyron Edwards

Don't know where to start? Try the forums search function, or just PM me and I'll help or find who can :D.
    Has someone helped above and beyond? Post a Thank You
    here
    Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe, AMD x64 4800+, 4G Corsair 3500, 2X BFG7800 in SLI mode, 2X 24" Dell flatpanels, Audigy 2zs platinum, & enough fans to hover the space shuttle:)

Turn the fan around!!

Go Here for Airflow information: Cooling-The Definitive Guide

M_N
    Last edited by Maximus Nickus; 09-22-02 at 11:06 AM.
    Lead Senior - Cooling
    Abit AT7 Max2 | 2100+ @ 3200+
    Dual Loop WaterCooling | 0.1 C/W CPU Block
    In order to succeed, you must try. | Avatar by Plague.

Be calm, relax and the answer will come to you

Folding at Home
    My Heatware

Originally posted by Maximus Nickus
    Turn the fan around!!

M_N
    So what is it you're trying to tell us????
    Buy new left handed fans???

DWolf
    Respect always the pathways that others follow in their spiritual journey. --DWolf
    Patience is the willingness to review and revise your expectations. --DWolf (At least I don't think I've ever seen it elsewhere)
    "Science has sometimes been said to be opposed to faith, and inconsistent with it. But all science, in fact, rests on a basis of faith, for it assumes the permanence and uniformity of natural laws - a thing which can never be demonstrated." --Tyron Edwards

Don't know where to start? Try the forums search function, or just PM me and I'll help or find who can :D.
    Has someone helped above and beyond? Post a Thank You
    here
    Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe, AMD x64 4800+, 4G Corsair 3500, 2X BFG7800 in SLI mode, 2X 24" Dell flatpanels, Audigy 2zs platinum, & enough fans to hover the space shuttle:)

This thread made me laugh.

haha good one wolf.

if you hit Alt+f4 right now, your fans will reverse... lol... j/kin....

Originally posted by funkdamonkman
    if you hit Alt+f4 right now, your fans will reverse... lol... j/kin....
    I just tryed it, but they didn't reverse in direction. Instead my 60mm turned into a 120mm. WOW thanks for the tip!