• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Change direction of fans?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Goo Kenson

Is there a way to change the direction of my case fans to have them blowing air out instead of sucking in and vice versa?

take them out and turn them round and re-fit them???, could try switching the wires (it dc so fan would spin the other way) dont know if this is good for the fans tho

Hi,

Yeah, just turn them around...
If you look real close, most fans have two arrows imprinted on them. One will point to what way the airflow is directed, and one to which way the blades move. Most fans I have seen blow air out towards the side with the sticker, and protective covering.

Hope that helps a bit,

NismoGTR
:burn:

If you think about it, I'm sure you can figure it out. The reason it is sucking in is because it is making air flow from the outside to the inside. Since a fan can logically only spin one way, then by flipping the fan around, wouldn't it now be making air flow from the insdie to the outside of the case? :)

So I guess what I'm trying to say is, just flip the fan around dude.

lazerin said:
If you think about it, I'm sure you can figure it out. The reason it is sucking in is because it is making air flow from the outside to the inside. Since a fan can logically only spin one way, then by flipping the fan around, wouldn't it now be making air flow from the insdie to the outside of the case? :)

So I guess what I'm trying to say is, just flip the fan around dude.

I realize that. I was just wondering if there was a way to do it without actually opening it up and flipping the fan around. Like, something with qfan or whatever. Anyway, thanks.

safemode said:
fan blades aren't flat. They are only curved for air flow in one direction. Changing the polarity and running it that way would be the mark of a total retard.

Now, now play nice with the other hacker geeks:D

Actually I had a PCI slot fan and I played around with the wiring trying to get it to spin in the opposite direction, then I realized you have 1Power line and 1Ground, switching them just leaves you with useless mass taking up space in your case. You would need to dissassemble the fan itself and reverse the wiring array that is activated by the current from the wire in order to get it to spin in the opposite direction. Some silly little electro-magnetic laws of physics or some such:cool:

funkdamonkman said:
if you hit Alt+f4 right now, your fans will reverse... lol... j/kin....

I just tryed it, but they didn't reverse in direction. Instead my 60mm turned into a 120mm. WOW thanks for the tip! ;)

Back