• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Prime 95 problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
L

lightning

when i run the prime on my P3 750@983, the temp at that instance are about 25C. but after few min, the prime 95 told that "sumout error"?? i refer back to the README file and it said it's software problem!! this time i'm sure is not temp problem!! i just install the win2k and there was nothing inside there except prime95, sisoft sandra, MBM. and my pc setup was so simple, just include VP6 mobo, 1 chip P3750, Voodoo3 3000 AGP, one realtek NIC, creative DVD 6x, WD 5400rpm 8Gig HD. nothing more!! what happen is that?? oh...forgot another thing is now i'm running at 2.0V and i still can go higher to 2.05! >(

err...another question. i had observer that when the system is ideal, the Vcore are 2.03 - 2.04V from the MBM, but when i load prime95, it was just drop down to 2.01V!! is that normal?? did that give any clue on the problem i facing now?? :-(

A sumout error means that your cpu is overclocked too high.

You have 2 options:

1) reduce speed....
2) improve cooling...

I've had a box that @ 1028 would run prime all day as long as the temps where under 35C... as soon as temps got above 35C, it would get sumout errors.

Hope this helps,

PharmEcis

humm......i maintain the temp below 30C and still no use.... it keep show out the sumout error or just auto reboot my win2k!! damn it!! it will function properly if the temp below 28C but sometime can reach 29C without crashing!! it quite depend on the ambient temp!! another thing is why i still can run sisoft burn in for all day long but for prime95, it just took 3 min then....toop....crash!!! :-( i think i had to go for water cooling......do u think it will help me?? :)

What watt power supply are you using that voltage drop seems odd.
I checked on my pc with mbm and prime95 no voltage drop when prime95 was started.

i'm using the 300W psu come with the case!! i had put 4 fan(include 2 cpu hsf fan) 1 hd and 1 dvd. nothing more!!

lightning (Apr 24, 2001 12:13 a.m.):
humm......i maintain the temp below 30C and still no use.... it keep show out the sumout error or just auto reboot my win2k!! damn it!! it will function properly if the temp below 28C but sometime can reach 29C without crashing!! it quite depend on the ambient temp!! another thing is why i still can run sisoft burn in for all day long but for prime95, it just took 3 min then....toop....crash!!! :-( i think i had to go for water cooling......do u think it will help me?? :)

thats becuase prime is acctually doing work and checking its self with the other brun in programs they just tell the cpu to do idle work as fast as it can with no check sum.

I am trying to run Prime95 on my SMP with 2 CPUs in it? But don't know how to set 2 Prime95 processes to push a load on each CPU... Please help... Many thanks...

lightning (Apr 24, 2001 12:13 a.m.):

When I am running my OC setup a step too far, I can watch the temp and as soon as it crosses 30C, it fails, just like yours. Temp failure thresholds exist. You just found one for your system. I have a second one at 45C in my system also. There is an accepted tenet in electronics that for every 10C you can lower the temp of any IC, you will improve its performance 3-5%.

That's why heat is the enemy!

You can slow down or cool down. Prime95 is not the be program for heating up a setup. With AMD devices, there is a program called burnk6.exe, courtesy of Swiftech. It will stress your cpu at least 5C higher than any program I have tried. Generally, Prime95 is an accepted standard for benchmarking the cpu, but it helps to add in something to stress the memory and video also. 3D Mark 2001 is an excellent choice for that. If I can get a setup past both of them, no other program will make it fail. Unlike some, I do not run them concurrently. I feel that compromises either ones ability to exact its particular toll on the system.

As far as how long I run them. I run Prime95 Torture until my temps have not gone up any further through one test pass. This rarely takes more than a half hour with my case. Immediately afterwards, while things are good and toasty, I run 3D Mark 2001, one pass.

While this is not the same as a prolonged burn-in, used to settle the hsf onto the core and weed out any weak components, it is a good test for stability while working up through different OC steps.

YMMV

Hoot

tim (Apr 24, 2001 08:44 p.m.):
I am trying to run Prime95 on my SMP with 2 CPUs in it? But don't know how to set 2 Prime95 processes to push a load on each CPU... Please help... Many thanks...

type in the password 9876

then go down to affinity

and you can select the cpu 1

then copy all the prime95 stuff to another folder ( copy not cut) and start a second instance and do the same thing but make it go on cpu 2

then set both there proritys to 10 and watch the sparks fly

thank for ur input, Hoot!! i really appreciate it!! ur input make me gain more knowledge in OC!! thank!! :)

another question, which program are good for burn in?? prime95, folding@home(console), sisoft sandra and 3Dmark2000??

prime95 works

you can do a workunit ( witch takes about 15-20 days depending on your system at high prority)

or you can do selftest ( quick on board test at low prority)

or you can do torture test ( self test in a loop at the highest prority)

what does this error "Fetal error reading temp file" means. My PIII700@1000 or above gives this error when i run the Prime95 torture test.

Does this means my o/c cpu is not stable?
I can run the system at 1035MHz @ 1.85v and i'm using water cooling (but no go for 3d applications).

Many thanks, Crash893... I have 2 prime95s running on my BP6 now... but I wonder about that priority=10? Why I need to set to 10? then How can I set it ? Many Many thanks again :)

Try using a distributed computing agent like UD instead of Prime 95, MPEG4 encoders, etc. It is a lot simpler and your CPU cycles are used for cancer research. United Devices uses every extra CPU cycle and you will not be able to tell it is running by system performance, even during heavy gaming. It is a good program to use if you want to burn in your processor. It will toast it up nicely.

BTW, SETI@Home is a terrible test of stability. I can run SETI@Home for days at time, but I fire up Prime95 Torture it kills my CPU in 1/2 hour.

tim (Apr 27, 2001 11:30 p.m.):
Many thanks, Crash893... I have 2 prime95s running on my BP6 now... but I wonder about that priority=10? Why I need to set to 10? then How can I set it ? Many Many thanks again :)

to set prority

got to test and select stop

then go to advanced and go to password ( password = 9876)

then go abck to advanced and go down to prority and set prority

then go abck to test and hit start

i leave mine on 1 becuase i dont want it to interfer with my normal day to day stuff.

if you put it on 10 it will gobble up all you cpu time and youll notice it righ away.

Seventhlost (Apr 28, 2001 04:55 p.m.):
Try using a distributed computing agent like UD instead of Prime 95, MPEG4 encoders, etc. It is a lot simpler and your CPU cycles are used for cancer research. United Devices uses every extra CPU cycle and you will not be able to tell it is running by system performance, even during heavy gaming. It is a good program to use if you want to burn in your processor. It will toast it up nicely.

i tired united devices i thought it sucked only becuase it wouldnt let me get rid of that stupid tray icon

i did however like that it showed you what they it was doing

i have to have prime95 becuase i can completly hide it at my computer school lab

the only thing i dont like about prime 95 is that the people that make it havent made may more devlopments. mabey things will kick back up when they win there money.

Prime 95 doesn't put a full load on the CPU. You need to run more stuff at the same time. Try Sandra's burnin module & 3dmark2k1, all at the same time.

asmodean(r) (Apr 30, 2001 01:15 a.m.):
Prime 95 doesn't put a full load on the CPU. You need to run more stuff at the same time. Try Sandra's burnin module & 3dmark2k1, all at the same time.

only if you leave it on priority 1

Back